Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ijk571
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Speed/IP Profile Question

Go to solution

Hi everyone.

I had Infinity installed a few weeks ago and all is good (more or less). Just before the Openreach engineer left he checked the speed and I got about 18.9mb down.

I have run many tests since on various speedtest sites (including the one and the same test server the engineer used) and the speed has dropped and stabilised at about 16mb now. One tester - the Thinkbroadband one logs all the results on my profile. Whist the upload is consistant the doenload has dropped to 18, then 17, then 16.5 ish and now 16, so gradually decreasing.

I see my IP profile is now 16.51 down and 5 up so I know according to my profile 16mb is about right.

I was getting 6-7mb before Infinity and I only seem to have a 10mb increase. I know I am a distance from the cabinet but I wonder if I the fact I unplugged the router and white infinity box from the mains twice on the day it was installed (to plug in an 4 way extension cable) has had any effect or whether 16mb is about all I can get/expect from now on.

I know there is the stabilisation period for a few days afterwards and I'm not expecting really earth-shattering speeds, its just that I thought that the 19mb on the first test would be be good, and now its down to 16mb I'm a little deflated. Is there any way to increase the profile or is drop due to natural stabilisation ? BT say this is about as much as my line will support and if the upgrade advisor shows less than 40mb I will be lucky to get any increase.

Thanks for reading my rambling message..

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Speed/IP Profile Question

Go to solution
What does the checker estimate for your line? http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
ijk571
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

This looks a bit scuffy but I have copied and pasted the results from the link above.

BT did tell me that 15.4 was my limit and anything above that was a bonus. They stopped short of saying anything could be done about it though. E.G. a profile reset etc.

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTCUp to 15.4Up to 3.5--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--3 to 7.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5Up to 13 to 7.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--2.5 to 7Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Well, as you're getting more than the estimate it's unlikely anyone will agree you have a problem.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
ijk571
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

This is true, however I was just a little concerned I'd have a negative effect on things by unplugging both boxes on the first day.....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
DLM doesn't kick in until the 2nd day.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@ijk571 wrote:

This is true, however I was just a little concerned I'd have a negative effect on things by unplugging both boxes on the first day.....

On the day of install your connection should be running full throttle without any stabalisation. That's why you are told speeds might fluctuate.

Meanwhile DLM is monitoring your line and building up a profile, recording instability etc.

Day 2 it kicks in anf applies different settings to your line over a period of a few days looking for the most stable configuration, again leading to fluctuation in speed.

DLM will normally set the best stable speed well within the 10 day period.

Your connection is looking good.

NB:- This is a simplistic explanation of DLM.

ijk571
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Ray and pippincp for your reassurance!!
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

If you have any problems come here first, we're quicker and better than Bangalore Bob!

ijk571
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I will do Smiley Happy

0 Ratings