Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigtasty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Speed Issues - What do you think?

Long story.... bear with me...

I have just moved into a flat and had Infinite 1 installed. Before I signed up, the estimated speed range was advertised as 35mbs - 50mbs with a minimum guaranteed speed of 32mbs.

The service was up and running when I recieved my HH (a day before the advertised activation date - weird?) and I was receiving a solid 35mbs - 40mbs. A few days later it dropped to 28mbs (all day on a Sunday - normal?).

Having been spoilt by Virgin Media at my previous property (200mbs) I felt that the internet felt particularly slow. Out of interest I typed my new phone number into the BT website and it says that "I could get 53mbs - 71mbs" with a "guaranteed speed of 48mbs."

I rang up BT and asked why the figures are now faster compared to when I signed up last month. They couldn't tell me why but instead they offered to upgrade my package to Infinite 2 on a discount price to see if my speeds increase. This is where I am now. Infinite 2 is going to be activate today, however I am dubious as if I wasn't receiving the max line speed on Infinite 1, I doubt I will be getting faster speeds using Infinite 2. (This is not a massive issue as they said I can cancel within 14 days and go back to the old product - i'm doing it mearly out of interest).

Anyway - what do you think? I have hopefully attached most of the bits you need.

I have also included some pictures of the wiring.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 11.25.56 1.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 11.26.07.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 11.37.55.png

Wiring pictures.

First picture shows what looks like the original master socket. The wiring appears to enter the property into the old master socket (which has been bypassed) and then into the socket containing telephone / tv / satellite (Second Picture - which again has been bypassed) and finally into the new master socket as you can see. Would this wiring have a detrimental effect?

20170314_111027.jpg

20170314_111054.jpg

I'll be interested in hearing you thoughts, and thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Speed Issues - What do you think?

That wiring is a total mess and could be the source of your problem. Getting BT to solve that for you will cost £130 you may be able to get someone local to do it cheaper.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Welcome to this user forum.

That wiring would have a bad effect on your speed.

The home hub needs to be plugged into the master socket, with only the incoming line connected to the back A and B connection.

The arrangement that exists, looks as though its been modified by the last owner, although they should not have  interfered with the wires connected to the back of the socket.

All you can do is to put it back to what it would have been when the line was first provided.

Once you have done that, if you leave the bottom section off, and connect things up as shown below, that should give you the maximum speed.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
bigtasty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

So I just cleaned up the sockets and tested the speeds using the original master socket but speeds are the same. Seems like the wiring isn't a factor here.
0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hello,

Having multiple frequency ports next to eachother could be the cause of your problem, telephpone sockets really should have a faceplate and socket of their own, what happened to the socket next to it?

If you can get a Infinity MK2 socket, (VDSL Faceplate) and fit it, (i recommend someone on youtube called My Mate Vince who works with BT Telecom wiring and shows you how to install them) and i reckon that should hopefuly fix some of your speed issues.

Also make sure this is your main socket (Where the telecom wire first comes into the property) as i can see you have jelly crimps on the wires, indicating there is a socket somewhere.

-Jaye.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@bigtasty wrote:
So I just cleaned up the sockets and tested the speeds using the original master socket but speeds are the same. Seems like the wiring isn't a factor here.

Did you remove the bottom section, and just used the test socket?

Using the test socket, can you now repost the information from the smart hub, to see if the maximum data rate has increased?

Remember, you are still above the minimum connection speed of 32Mbs. Infinity 2 is not going to be any faster if your line cannot support that speed.

bigtasty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Tried using the test socket and max data Rate remains the same: 11981 / 44324. In fact using any of the sockets the data rate stays the same.

If the speed doesn't improve by tomorrow (Infinite 2 activation is today) then I will simply have to cancel and go back to Infinite 1. Will I recieve any kind of notification when they activate the new service?

0 Ratings
bigtasty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

@Jayebmx wrote:

Hello,

Having multiple frequency ports next to eachother could be the cause of your problem, telephpone sockets really should have a faceplate and socket of their own, what happened to the socket next to it?

If you can get a Infinity MK2 socket, (VDSL Faceplate) and fit it, (i recommend someone on youtube called My Mate Vince who works with BT Telecom wiring and shows you how to install them) and i reckon that should hopefuly fix some of your speed issues.

Also make sure this is your main socket (Where the telecom wire first comes into the property) as i can see you have jelly crimps on the wires, indicating there is a socket somewhere.

-Jaye.

I think the the original setup was the master socket in the top picture which fed to the multiple frequency socket in the main room plus two other phone sockets around the flat. When the flat was renovated the installed the new Openreach socket (which you can see dangling to the right in the bottom picture) and bypassed the original master socket using jelly crimps (as seen in top picture which also renders the other telephone sockets useless) as well as bypassing the multiple frequency socket (again using jelly crimps) straight to the new open reach socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@bigtasty wrote:

Will I recieve any kind of notification when they activate the new service?

The BT Wholesale speed test diagnostics will show an upload IP Profile of 20Mbs.

bigtasty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Well surprise surprise, no speed improvement after the Infinite upgrade. 

I spoke to tech support earlier today who performed a line test and said they had picked up some issues with the line and will arrange an engineer to come and take a look.

0 Ratings