cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sclarke
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Speed Issues

I'm looking for some help if there’s any out there…!  I'm having no luck with online chat, being sent round the houses and offered no help at all.

My connection has recently gone through the floor and I’ve now got an IP profile of 57.8, but apparently I don't have a fault as my minimum guaranteed speed is 57.0. Seriously.

My line has dropped from the 70's to what it is now over the course of 6-8 months, 14.1 line attenuation. What's going on?

Here is my story I keep sharing with the support:

My estimated speed when I ordered was the below:

Fibre broadbandDownload Speed: 63Mb-80Mb

At the start I was happily achieving 70-75mb, this then dropped slowly over the following months until I was on 65-66mb. I understand that due to more subscribers there was always a chance my speed would drop to the mid 60’s.

Over the last few months in particular it has really deteriorated, resyncs overnight keep dropping my line profile down a bit further came onto the chat last night and mentioned this, I was advised that they'd reset 'something' at the exchange and to restart my hub in the next 24hrs as this would increase my speed. (Sounded like waffle to me)

I have done this, but to my frustration my sync speed has dropped even
further! I'm now on a line profile of 57.8 mb. So I’m way under the estimations
I was given at order. Therefore, what can I do?

I’m paying for Infinity 2 speeds but only getting Infinity 1 speeds, so could I be downgraded to Infinity 1 with the lower cost – but without this renewing my contract? (I want to keep my current term, as I may look to move away at the end of my current contract on
the back of these troubles)

Edit -

Resync'd again, now well under the minimum gaurenteed as far as I'm concenered.

Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 55.63 Mbps

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Speed Issues

Over the last few months in particular it has really deteriorated, resyncs overnight keep dropping my line profile down a bit further came onto the chat last night and mentioned this, I was advised that they'd reset 'something' at the exchange and to restart my hub in the next 24hrs as this would increase my speed. (Sounded like waffle to me)

Total waffle at this time only Openreach can do line resets after an engineer visit if a fault is found 

0 Ratings
sclarke
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

I did think as much!

For info, I've got an SSFP (MK4) and have actually plugged my modem directly into the test socket to rule out any issues (even though I don't have any house extensions).

Still the same issues, in fact it's dropped again today. Down to 53mb now.

I need to get myself a corded phone and run a quiet line test to be sure. I did it with a cordless phone and I heard constant hissing and cracks, but I want to be sure with a fixed phone as it could have been cordless interference.

I guess if I still hear the 'noise' on a corded phone, via the test socket, then I'd raise this with BT as a landline fault? (Not mentioning broadband). And as a consequence of them fixing that, I may get my old FTTC connection back!  And also, if a 'fault' is found and subsequently fixed...can the engineer reset DLM to bring me back to my normal speed at the same time?

0 Ratings
Showofdeth
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

"Total waffle at this time only Openreach can do line resets after an engineer visit if a fault is found"

Maybe not TOTAL waffle as I myself had a similar issue to OP with no visible fault and was told by CS they'd reset something or other for me but no mention of my local exchange though. As far as I could tell they did what they said they would and I saw a marked improvement within 24 hours in both top speeds and latency.
0 Ratings
sclarke
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Could I request some mod assistance on this please?

Tried chatting to BT Support (via the chat) again this afternoon, I'm now being told that the issues with my line profile is because I'm using my own router and not the BT Home Hub. Given that the open reach modem (which I’ve always had) negotiates the profile, I feel as if I’m being fobbed off a bit! They won't help me unless I rip my network apart and plug in the Home Hub which I've never used.

And in the meantime my profile has dropped again... (53.28 now (around 50mb throughput) - but guaranteed minimum is 57). This is all wired by the way.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

if your profile is dropping then you are having internet connection problems and you need to address this first  the start is a corded phone and quiet line test

stats are needed as well but if you use a locked modem that you cannot access the stats which would help with indication of problem

no point with mods until you have eliminated everything else and even had engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sclarke
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

I have an ECI modem which is locked, so I can't get the stats.

For info, I have run a quiet line test with a corded phone and it's perfect - silent as it can be, no noise.

All I know is that my line profile has gone from 65/66Mb down to 53.23 in a matter of two weeks. My minimum guarantee is 57, so something is up somewhere. Not sure what other avenues to go down?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

All you can do is arrange an engineer visit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

I agree with @licquorice as you cannot get any stats from modem and quiet line test ok you need to get engineer visit to find the cause of your constant drop in internet connection which is resulting in lower speed and therefore drop in profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sclarke
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Thanks all. I have finally managed to get somewhere with Online Chat and have an appointment for Saturday (quick turnaround).

Obviously there's always a concern over a charge, but given that I have no internal wiring or any oddities going on I'd be surprised if I get a charge…

If they can't find a fault and they have to reset the DLM to get my normal line profile back (if the speed drop has been caused by a temporary fault at some time) will I be charged for that?

0 Ratings