Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kanesh
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Speed and Connection Issues

Hi,

After being a BT infinity 1 (FTTP) customer for many years, I was recently offered an upgrade option and I upgraded my system to BT infinity 2 in Feb/Mar this year.

Though the broadband speed checker indicates my download speed now is around 70M, I feel that it now takes longer to access web pages than before. Also, I noticed that Apps such Smart-Talk and Viber having trouble and sometimes the calls get disconnected in the middle. I contacted the BT support centre to report this, but I was advised that there are no problems since my download speed is good.

A friend of mine has internet from Virgin Media and my devices appear function better when I connected to his network. Also, another friend of mine appear to have received a new high speed smart hub from BT when he upgraded his broadband, while I am still using BT Hub 5.

Could you please help me to check whether I have any internet problem.

Kanesh

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Speed and Connection Issues

just because your speed has increased it does not mean pages will load faster also you are better off with the hub 5 then a hub 6 just read the forum post on it you may then change your mind
0 Ratings
kanesh
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi john46,

First of all, I mentioned that the pages appear to be loading slower with this high speed connection, whereas you are saying not to expect faster access  a with high speed. Secondly, based on your statement, there is no benefit in the high speed connection, which was offered as an improvement. Thirdly, the Smart hub is being marketed as a device to improve WiFi connection and as a free device for customers upgrading their broadband. I just like BT to provide a good service to me who has been with BT for more than 20 years.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

there are many things that can control the speed a web page loads the first is the PC's performance and graphic's ability the second is the speed of the websites servers and of course the level of traffic across the internet the last two items mentioned you and any service provider has no control over also wireless connections are subject to external interference which can cause data packet to be resent again slowing everything down

as to the hub 6 just read the many forum posts on it and you will soon see you are better off with your hub 5
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

the benefits of faster speeds are seen when streaming video downloading large files to multiple devices at the same time
0 Ratings
kanesh
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Regarding your your comment about the Wifi speed, I am comparing apple to apple in the sense that the environment hasn't changed drametically within a few days. The hub is situated in the same location as before and nothing has changed within my household in the best of my opinion.

Regarding the Smart Hub, basically you are asking to stay off it, despite the marketting propaganda by BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Are there any indications on the Openreach ONT that may indicate an intermittent optical signal, are any alarms showing?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

a wired connection is always best you may have not changed anything in your home external wireless interference can cause trouble as to the hub 6 why change it old saying if its no broke don't try and fix it
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 9

@kanesh wrote:

Regarding the Smart Hub, basically you are asking to stay off it, despite the marketting propaganda by BT.

You answered your own question there.

Basically any 3rd party router will outperform any equipment supplied by any ISP.

As regards web pages rendering a 10Mbps connection will render a web page in the same time as a 300Mbps or 1 Gbps connection depending on the speed of the server the website is hosted on.

0 Ratings