cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Speed and connection issue - new infinity that was installed recently

Nah, I use wired network connections, the only thing that's wireless in here is the console hooked up to my TV.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

No moderators around that can help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

You will need to provide the full BT Speedtester results including IP profile.

Using the BT Speedtester

This is only a customer to customer help forum, the moderators cannot help until all other options are exhausted, and you are getting a very low speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

What sort of speeds were you getting when it was first installed? If it was a faulty install the problem should have shown itself at the time of the install or very shortly thereafter.

Make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if it disconnects. If it doesn't you will know it is a faulty hub. If it does disconnect it would point to either a fault with the modem or your line.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username Internet@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Keith,

Speedtest results were

Down: 32.61 Mbps

Up: 5.03 Mbps

Ping: 60.13

Not one week ago the results were in the region of

48 Mbps down (6000 kb/s)

9 Mbps up (890 kb/s)

IP Profiles are

Download speedachieved during the test was - 32.61 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-33.88 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 33.88 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.03Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

The IP profile of 33.88 is very odd tho, it doesn't add up to the speeds i've been getting over the last few weeks, its almost as if its been purposely toned down. I understand they do train the line and speeds do naturally go up and down by that normally only lasts 1 week, not 2 weeks+, it also does not explain the constant disconnections.

It also doesn't explain the massive speed loss, at my previous address which is only 1 street away the speeds were 45 Mbps+ like my previous ones prior to this issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

I expect its just DLM making changes to compensate for normal changes in line conditions. Certainly not slow enough to be classed as a fault.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

The infinity checker on the BT website also reports that i'd get 47.1 Mbps down and 8.4 Mbps up.

Its not the end of the world but i'm still quite annoyed that its been fine for the past 2 weeks then all of a sudden it nose dives by almost 2000 kb/sec and has magically developed these rather annoying DC issues. The speed doesn't bother me so much, it's still more than fast enough for what I use it for but the disconnections are very problematic.

Any suggestions on how I could go about getting it back to the former glory so to speak? I've tried ringing BT but I always get the same response "We can't find a fault there for we can't do anything"

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Little update, just rang BT and explained whats been said here, guy I talked to did some checks and he said he can confirm in the last 24 hours the IP profile has been changed and that within the next 24 hours I should see the speed gradually return to normal and if not I had to reply to the text they sent out and they'll ring me back... so just have to wait now 🙂 thanks for the help btw, to everyone that replied.

0 Ratings
fable
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 21

similar to my situation

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Another little update 🙂 BT engineer just been out and fixed the problem, back up in speed now.

Download Speed: 51521 kbps (6440.1 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 7373 kbps (921.6 KB/sec )

0 Ratings