cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrhairy
Message 1 of 9

Speed and customer service

I read my contract that states a guaranteed minimum speed which I am not getting, I'm about 5mb short which equates to about 10% less than the overall stated speed. i decided to call support as advised in my contract email and received some of the most shocking customer experience I have had from a telecoms provider, which I did not expect as I was following the BT advice and OFCOM guidelines provided by BT.

I was made to feel as though I shouldn't be calling for such a trivial matter and the call handler eventually asked if I wanted an engineer to come out, I asked if there would be a charge for this to which the answer was may be, it was dependent upon whether or not I interfered with the equipment in any way. So essentially meaning our word against yours and judging by the way I was made to feel on the call, it would have been my fault.

I declined the offer as I was made to feel as if the performance of the broadband was my fault and it was only 5mb short, so why was I raising the issue any way. The fact is BT offered a level of performance which I was not receiving. I was asked as an option prior to an engineer coming out to open the wall socket, use a micro filter and plug my connection in to the service socket, which meant I would be intefering with the equipment!

After some testing the operator did say that the performance I was getting was lower than the speed guaranteed but this could still be my fault in some way or another. I was not offered the option to cancel the contract as per OFCOM guidelines and when I enquired about this I was reminded of the length that my TV contract has to run and that there could be implications to the cost - even though when signing up this was offered to me as a joint package. Should I look to action the option to terminate the broadband contract, I would still have to keep the TV service for the remainder of the TV contract which would restrict the opportunity for me to find an alternative full package from another provider.

I will be waiting for my contract's' to end so that I can leave at the soonest opportunity as a direct result of this experience as I shouldn't have been threatened by contract wording, made to feel as if I were wasting time and the general feeling of being played by an experienced call handler.

I am still left paying for a service I am  not getting.

Regards

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Speed and customer service

@Mrhairywrote: I was not offered the option to cancel the contract as per OFCOM guidelines

If you're not recieving the minimum guaranteed speed you have to give BT the opportunity to fix it first, which will mean an engineer visit from Openreach, If the reason for the low speed is due to internal wires then you would be liable for the engineer charge which I think is now £85.

If however the reason for not getting the minimum speed is external and can be fixed, it will be fixed free of charge.

If the speed can't be increased, this is the point BT will allow you to leave without penalty, you might also be offered a bigger discount under a new minimum term.

Lastly, moving providers won't make any difference with speeds unless Virgin Media or any other AltNet is available, this is due to all other providers using the same Openreach network.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

What speed are you complaining about , connection speed or throughput speed, are you measuring with a wired connection or wireless ?, ISP's do not guarantee throughput speeds.

Speed tests should be done on an Ethernet wired device not wireless, at the master socket test port to eliminate any extension wiring issues than neither your ISP or Openreach are responsible for, basically if your internal setup is not optimal, it's your responsibility to fix it.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Using your phone number , can you post your details and also post the connection statistics from your router,that way an opinion can be given if your complaint is justified or not.

What speed are you expecting, many people misunderstand the way the advertising standards industry mandate speeds have to be used in adverts, so , if for example an ISP said the average speed for a product was 50Mb, that doesn't in any way mean that you should expect 50Mb, just that as a country wide average , 50Mb is what the 'mean' average is, on fault free, optimal lines some would get in excess , some would get much much less...it's a totally arbitrary  and meaningless figure when it comes to individual line speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

in order to get some help from forum members can you post some information

can you go to advanced settings if you have hh6 and then technical log information and post results

can you enter your phone number and post the results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

can you see if any line noise which will affect your connection - dial 17070 option 2  should be silenet apart from announcement and best done with a corded phone

by using the test socket which is behind the front plate of the master socket you eliminate your internal wiring and faceplate as casuing the problem.  this will also help decide if problem is internal and likely to incur the £85 callout fee    This is not interfering with openreach equipment as it permissable and expected for you to check your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mrhairy
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your responses,  I will get on a proper PC so that I can provide the relevant snippet cut and pastes and follow up on some of the suggestions. Although I do believe the only way I will get any satisfaction is to get the engineer out and run the risk of forking out £85.

My concern is around the connection speed, I'm guaranteed a minimum of 53MB and getting 47MB as reported by BTs suggested speedtest, ookla and the home hub itself, clearly not a massive concern and a lot better than most but at the moment the service level I am guaranteed is not being met. I hope the engineer can tweak the settings to provide the 10% I am not getting. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

As stated previously, the guaranteed speed is not the download speed as measured by a speedtest but  rather the connection speed as measured by your Home Hub/router. There is a difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 9

If you do as @imjolly has requested and post the results one of us will be able to advise you the best route to take to get this matter resolved and if a charge will be raised or not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

when you get the information to post you need to use 'photos' as shown here

Capture.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings