Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Speed below min guaranteed and handback threshold

Evening,

I have previously had a super connection in the 55/9 range for the last 18 months on Infinity 1. The setup has been exactly the same with no changes to anything.

However, the last couple of weeks browsing has been slow so I have been monitoring my connection. I do not have a homehub, used to have a 5A but it stopped working so reverted to my HG612 (not unlocked) which I have had for a few years. I have had the HG612 plugged in since moving to this property 18 months ago.

I am connected to the master socket and have taken the following readings in the test socket.

I have done a quiet line test with a corded phone and cannot hear any crackles, hissing or anything.

My contracted minimum guaranteed speed is 55Mbps with a range of 63-80Mbps on my contract email which was renewed in November 2017. I was offered the increased speeds on Infinity 1 as an existing customer and my speed did rise to the low 70's and a 19 upload.

Can anybody please advise the next step which hopefully does not involve going through everything again!

Thanks.

DSL stats.jpg

Speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Speed below min guaranteed and handback threshold

are you using a router at all or have you just conencted your pc direct to HG612 modem?

without any stats from the modem or router it is difficult to tell if your speed is low duw to disconenctions and high noise margin due to the DLM taking action to stabilise your conenction

your download speed is good for your profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

I use an Apple AirPort Extreme as my router.

If my download is good for my profile why the huge drop from previous stable line conditions? Why am I below min guaranteed speed?

I haven’t touched my HG612 and we have had no power cuts.
0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 15

Do we still use Range A for connections? Because I certainly was always on that
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

without some router/modem stats to consider there is no way of telling from the restricted information posted

eg  you may have an attainable of say 70mb but your connection speed about 43mb with a noise margin much higher than normal 6db suggesting connection/reset problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 15

Ok, understood.

I can not unlock my modem as I run on an all Mac setup. I suppose the only thing I can do is try and borrow a HH and get a snapshot of the line stats.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

If that is possible it would help and also help if you need engineer visit

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

@sps1013 wrote:
Ok, understood.

I can not unlock my modem as I run on an all Mac setup. I suppose the only thing I can do is try and borrow a HH and get a snapshot of the line stats.

Or borrow a device with an Ethernet port, it only takes 5 minutes to unlock the HG612.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Hi,

I have borrowed a HH5 type A and have connected to the test socket. I waited 30 mins between switching off my HG612 and turning the HH on.

Speedtest much better and the line stats are also below.

Now I am guessing it is my HG612 that is possibly faulty? If it is then I need to get a new one or keep the HH5 and disable wireless and configure my Apple extreme.

HH5A line stats.png

HH5 speedtest.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

stats look good so does look like faulty modem

0 Ratings