cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrippledPenguin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Speed capped at 2mbps AGAIN

You can read my previous posts to get an idea of whats going on here, it's happened again. I'm at a loss. I don't know what is causing the issue but it's VERY inconvenient. This problem took  over 14 days to solve last time which is unacceptable considering I rely heavily on a solid internet connection for my business. Anyway here's what happened:

2am last night: I was watching a youtube video on my computer, boom, I lose internet connection. This sometimes happens and takes the connect sometimes 20s to 2mins to come back online. However when it comes back online the speeds stay at 2mbps instead of the normal 55-60. I've seen this before, the same problem that happened around 4 months ago has happened again. I've seen that BT equipment cap your speeds if you repeatedly restart your router which I don't, and for other reasons. There must be a way to speed up this process of getting my line back to normal functioning speeds OR even better, fixing the root of the problem so this doesn't happen again. This needs to be fixed ASAP, not in over 14 days like last time due to the awful organisational skills of both BT and openreach and their complete inability to schedule an appropriate engineer for the issue at hand.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Speed capped at 2mbps AGAIN

can you post current stats to illustrate the problem  btspeedtester diagnositic test would also help

unfortunately one of the problems with using residential line for business is the delay in openreach fixing the fault/problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
CrippledPenguin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

hubstats.pngbttest.pngI did notice that on the BT Wholesale test it said there was no FTTP to my house, I assumed since we have fibre optic broadband that we would have FTTP no?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

no you have FTTC - fibre to cabinet and copper to home as against FTTP - fibre to the premises

wow not only is download bad you down connection speed is also very low

last question  any noise on your phone line?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

as you needed mod help last time I have asked mods to help again

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hey @CrippledPenguin123 

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Oh dear, I can see from the stats you've posted that your speed is well off the mark Smiley Sad  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you again. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
CrippledPenguin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

No line noise, also about the connection speed being low, what could that mean?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

obviously a line/connection problem but now best lest with mods to get it sorted like last time

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@CrippledPenguin123 wrote:

You can read my previous posts to get an idea of whats going on here, it's happened again. I'm at a loss. I don't know what is causing the issue but it's VERY inconvenient. This problem took  over 14 days to solve last time which is unacceptable considering I rely heavily on a solid internet connection for my business. Anyway here's what happened:

2am last night: I was watching a youtube video on my computer, boom, I lose internet connection. This sometimes happens and takes the connect sometimes 20s to 2mins to come back online. However when it comes back online the speeds stay at 2mbps instead of the normal 55-60. I've seen this before, the same problem that happened around 4 months ago has happened again. I've seen that BT equipment cap your speeds if you repeatedly restart your router which I don't, and for other reasons. There must be a way to speed up this process of getting my line back to normal functioning speeds OR even better, fixing the root of the problem so this doesn't happen again. This needs to be fixed ASAP, not in over 14 days like last time due to the awful organisational skills of both BT and openreach and their complete inability to schedule an appropriate engineer for the issue at hand.

If your business is reliant on your broadband connection and you want fast repair times, why are you relying on a cheap consumer grade connection rather than a business connection with a proper SLA?

0 Ratings
CrippledPenguin123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Well an update is due, the engineer that was booked didn't show up (not surprised) but the internet speeds had gone up from 2mb/s before the engineer came and had seemed stable so we didn't pursue another engineer visit. Sadly the internet speed suddenly dropped once again, and this time I noticed a pattern. The last two times atleast, we lost internet connection around 2-3am (this time was around 2:40am specifically) then it came back after a few minutes but at the reduced speed. I looked at the technical log of the router to see what exactly was happening around this time and took a screenshot, hopefully this will help narrow down the problem. I was reading other posts with similar problems that suggests it could be something like electrical wiring and that the heating / street lights coming on could affect this but I doubt it.  

Actually, just as I look at these logs I see the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request", now this looks very fishy to me for two reasons. One because that looks like its cutting of my connection and two because when one of the engineers came out about the the problem that occured around january they mentioned that our PPP had been corrupted / deleted I can't remember the exact word  but that they had to rebuild it from scratch and that it was an odd problem. Well this looks to be related from what I can see. 

intenetdown.pngthese were the logs the looked unique to the typical logs around that time, can a broader look around the time if needed

0 Ratings