cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Speed checks jerky not snmooth since some softare in stalled by Openreach

Hi please can anyone help or advise? I've had 4 years of intermittent broadband speeds and over 30 engineers out to investigate and resolve. Alledged causes have ranged from home landline telephone (removed) broadband socket (replaced) overhead power cables (aren't any!) problems at exchange (fixed) and cable(fixed). One Openreach visit ,the one when was suggested home landline phone was the cause, the engineer rang some BT/Openreach offshore help desk in India I believe. He said to 'smooth' out the performance and prevent future issues he was having something installed on my line (well it didn't work as still broke again after!). It is obviously software related, not a phyiscal change, but the result is speed checks act very strange. If I use spped tests with a rev counter style dial, they jerk and move along in pulses not smooth, which cannot be correct. Incredibly no-one at BT knows what was done so cannot fix it! Has anyone come across this and knows what it is called so can get removed! HELP!!!!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Speed checks jerky not snmooth since some softare in stalled by Openreach

What ? , is your complaint that on some speed tests that display the throughput as a needle on a dial , the needle doesn’t remain ‘steady’ ,but moves around , so ( in your opinion )  then there must be a fault,

Do you actually have any real world problems or is this representation of a throughput speed test the only ‘issue’ you have ? 

Data transmission can be in bursts , it isn’t necessary linear , if the only problem  you have is a speed tester needle moving around a dial ,  then you really should stop speed testing,

An analogy, if I drive 30 miles in 30 minutes , park  for 15 minutes,  then restart my journey and after another 15 minutes I have in total driven 60 miles in one hour  , obviously my average is 60mph , someone else could  make the same journey  without stops , and cover  the same 60 miles in an hour , our speed ‘graphs’ would be different,  but we both averaged 60mph.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Speed checks jerky not snmooth since some softare in stalled by Openreach

I think you have missed the point....completely. Before this 4 year nightmare of incompetence started, whenever I did ANY speed test via ANY provider, whilst speed was poor, the 'rev' counter style moved smoothly. To quote your poor analogy, you can travel 60 miles but your engine can rev up and down, spit and bang but still get there, that doesn't mean it is ok!!!!! As stated an Openreach Engineer installed some software via India to supposedly smoooth out the performance (which failed miserably) but recorded nothing on my account so BT have no idea what was done, but after that the speed tests no longer work the same. Please read the ALL the question and only comment on the fault/issue, no guess work. Many thanks.

0 Ratings