Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Speed degradation

Hi,

I have been enjoying Infinity 2 for the last 15 months at a connection speed of 74mb. Ip cap was at 74mb when tested originally with btwholesale test.

About 2 weeks ago my speed dropped drastically to less than 15mb. I reset my modem once and ever since my ip cap is now 60mb, But all speed tests are less than 40mb. Bt wholesale test now states my line ip cap is at 55mb.

If this had been from the start I could understand, but as I've been enjoying 74mb for the last 15 months I think something is not right, Plus I'm paying for Infinity 2 and now getting not much better than Infinity 1 speeds.

Would it be possible if a mod could contact me and I could get the ip cap reset on my line please.

Thanks

Daron

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Speed degradation

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been getting 74 mbps for the last 15 months. it's only since the major speed drop a couple of weeks ago that things have degraded. Hence why I'm on here requesting a reset. Thanks  

VDSL Range A (Clean)7455.72014.6--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)55.530.4166.8--Available----
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

BT Retail or any other ISP, cannot reset Infinity connections, as the equipment is owned by Openreach. They only do this during a fault visit, if your connection rate is well outside of the limits.

An increase in crosstalk can reduce the maximum connection rate. This is caused by more users being connected to the cabinet.

Which BT Home Hub do you have?

Range A is now 55.7 to 74, assuming that your downstream noise marging is about 6dB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I have a hg612 modem, with a Home hub 5. I got the modem because the hh5 was resyncing at least once a day and causing dlm to kick in dropping my speed to lower than adsl. I had an engineer come out and reset my dlm.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 7.35 Mbps

0 Mbps55.58 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.35 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-55.58 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 55.58 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 4.49 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.49Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 18.9 0.0
Connection speed (kbps): 60000 16425
SNR margin (dB): 6.7 6.0
Power (dBm): 13.0 7.6
Interleave depth: 8 4
INP: 55.00 45.00
G.INP: Enabled Enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

SNR has risen since the first major drop in speed a couple of weeks ago, and as you can see speed now is not very good at all.

My ip profile was 74mb upto a couple of weeks ago. 

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Its syncing at 60Mbs. Assuming that you did the speed test using a direct Ethernet cable. You could be suffering from network congestion during peak times, so it may be an idea to run speed tests at different times of the day, to see whether there is any change.

The noise margin is about right.

See this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-disappears-to-infinity-and-beyond-...

It may help to eliminate the home hub as a possibility.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

It's all connected direct with ethernet,  house is cat 6 through out with gigabit switches. I'm more concerned as why my line ip config has dropped so much when I've not had any modem resets except for the once I did because of extreme slow speeds. May well be network congestion with the speed, as I've read that the Wrexham exchange has congestion problems. 

Again, Thanks for the reply

0 Ratings