cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Speed drop (high SNR) after being offline and fault ticket processed that I didn't initiate

I have noticed a marked speed drop in my FTTC connection.  Download speed from roughly 65mbps down to 40mbps.

My router failed and as a result I disconnected my Openreach modem (because it served no purpose while I waited for the replacement).

I've noticed that my speeds have dropped significantly, and after checking the stats on my router I can see that the SNR is 17dB (I believe the max possible is 18dB?)

I checked for problems in my area and found a fixed problem that I did not report.  The 'problem' was around the same time I was offline.

It is my suspicion that my intentional disconnection was seen as an outage, a ticket generated, and my SNR cranked up to solve the line problems... I'm now online, so I guess BT/Openreach consider it's fixed.

It's been a few weeks and the SNR has not been reduce, so I guess that unless there isn't a manual intervention it's not going to improve. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Speed drop (high SNR) after being offline and fault ticket processed that I didn't initiate

your noise margin can go higher 18db not max

are you able to post stats from the modem?

is there any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Speed drop (high SNR) after being offline and fault ticket processed that I didn't initiate

Screenshots

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 12.49.32.pngScreenshot 2020-11-10 at 12.49.19.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

I tried the silent line test and it is clear

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Here are all the stats:

Retrain Reason: 2

Last initialization procedure status: 0

Max: Upstream rate = 26025 Kbps, Downstream rate = 54332 Kbps

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 17000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 43998 Kbps

Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan

US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)

DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)

Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan

US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)

DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)

VDSL Port Details   Upstream   Downstream

Attainable Net Data Rate:     26025 kbps     54332 kbps

Actual Aggregate Tx Power:       7.1 dBm     13.4 dBm

====================================================================================

VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2 D3

Line Attenuation(dB): 6.3 23.6 34.3   N/A   N/A 11.9 28.1 43.1

Signal Attenuation(dB): 6.3 22.6 33.3   N/A   N/A 15.9 27.9 43.1

SNR Margin(dB): 12.4 12.2 12.2   N/A   N/A 9.2 9.1 9.2

TX Power(dBm): -1.2 -19.3 6.4   N/A   N/A 10.4 7.8 6.9

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

the stats show and attainable of only 54mb so not going to reach 65mb as you say you had previously

I think you are in a banded profile due to the problems with your connection and the resets trying to improve it

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps by eliminating your master socket faceplate and also any internal wiring

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Unfortunately I don't have historical data for speed tests on a computer, but I checked back in previous speed checks on my mobile app and had a speed of 59 early this year.

Does the data help?

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 14.31.55.png

I have tried the tests you suggest and I did actually increase the speed marginally with a new filter and high quality modem cable.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

the checker results show expected range of connection speed is 77/56 so you are below that on attainable

are you able to connect to test socket with a filter and repost stats    your connection speed will not improve due to banding but hoping attainable will move in expected range

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

It's already connected to the test socket.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

if the last set of stats were from the test socket connection then although connection speed is low due to banding the attainable is below your expected range so I would phone 150 and get engineer visit

0 Ratings