cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rich44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Speed dropped DLM got stuck, reset dropping again

I'll try to make this brief. Had noisy line for voice and speed dropped and DLM got stuck at 20 something Mbps.

Voice engineer came out and that morning noise stopped so no fault found.

Logged broadband fault, engineer comes out tests line, no fault but resets DLM gets 50Mbps but says lucky to get that despite line running at 60+ something in the past when on Infinity 2.

So 4 hours later and speed is falling again, noise margin still 6dB but speed has already fallen to 42Mbps despite NO errors in stats just 1 ES at central exchange in that time.

So what do I do, I'm worried the line is going to keep falling again and they keep insisting there's no fault causing this. It's a very rural line so it's not street lights etc because there are none, there's only 1200 residential properties at the exchange and obviously we're only talking about 1 cabinet not the whole exchange.

Anyway anyone have suggestions what can cause this kind of thing? I'm convinced there's a physical fault somewhere given the previous noisy phone line (that's OK at the moment) but with tests all coming back green...

Help
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Speed dropped DLM got stuck, reset dropping again

Please post your full Router Stats. For a Home Hub see on here: Broadband Top Tips . Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Rich44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Don't use a home hub awful things 8n my experience.

Anyway

Fast path
Attenuation downstream 22dB
Noise margin (currently) 6dB
Sync 42Mbps down
6Mbps up

0 CRC errors
1 error second central exchange

Sync speed has dropped twice since 9am noise margin still 6dB

Ill get the full stats once I'm back home that's all I have access to right now.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post your full Router Stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

adslmax
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

There is a fault causing errors and disconnections on your line. DLM has seen this and has reduced your speed and or increased interleaving to help stabilise your line.

DLM is not stuck, it is reacting to the line fault. When the fault has been fixed, DLM will increase your speed.
0 Ratings
Rich44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Max I know what I'm talking about. I'm looking at the logs there's NO loss of sync.

Prior to that I had 2 weeks where the only loss of sync was me rebooting the router occasionally (1/2 times) and it was stuck at 24Mbps all that time with SNR of 22dB the BT engineer just said it was stuck.

I appreciate you're trying to help but I did say there are NO errors too, I also said a voice and data engineer have BOTH tested the line and said it's fault free (we both know something is very wrong but if the automated test says it's OK what can they do?)

XRaySpeX

No internal wiring in the house, I won't have any specifically so it cannot be blamed, the router lives 2 feet from the master socket. Same results in test socket, 3 prefiltered faceplates have been installed (1 put attenuation through the roof). No wires other than the pair coming thru the wall and that cable is only about a foot long as the DP is on the other side of the wall.

BT engineers (both) have cleared the line and said its perfect and quiet test sounds OK.

I was away from home so couldn't post them yesterday hence why I only posted what I had and not the full lot.

Not as clear as could be sorry but downstream is top and upstream bottom in each section, I'll stick the HG612 back on later and get stats from that too. Oh and prior this rest max attainable was 65Mbps odd and prior to this the line was solid for over 2 years so I'm convinced either there's a fault or someone else had a fault and we've been shifted onto a "dodgy" pair

Negotiated Connection Properties
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s

Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s

Attainable throughput kbit/s

Current throughput kbit/s

Seamless rate adaptation
off
off

Latency
12 ms
8 ms

Impulse Noise Protection (INP)

G.INP
off
off

Signal-to-noise ratiodB

Bitswap
on
on

Line attenuationdB

Profile17a
G.Vector
off
off

Carrier record
B43
B43

Error Counter 3

Central exchange 1

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
adslmax
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

So if you've been shifted to a dodgy pair I assume by dodgy you mean one with faults on?

Assuming you have a hard wired phone, have you tried a different phone?

If you put the hg612 back on is it possible to run dslstats 24*7 to detect errors you may have missed, and share them on mdws?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Rich44  if this is correct 'Sync speed has dropped twice since 9am noise margin still 6dB' then you are dropping conenction as sync speed only changes on drop/reset whereas attainable/max speed will fluctuate without a reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings