cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ringoko
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Speed dropped drastically since storms last week

We had some bad weather and thunderstorms on Thursday night and since then my broadband speed has plummeted. Strangely though my level of interleaving has gone down - on Wednesday it was at 8 but now it is at 4. I'm worried that the weather has somehow screwed my line up and that my interleaving will start to go up again (even though it has taken over 100 days of solid connection to get down to 4 from a high of 16).

I've tried a quiet line test and have heard nothing. I also reported the fault on Friday through bt.com/faults (I reported it as a phone fault and line noise) but have heard nothing back yet.

I haven't got any stats from immediately prior to the fault but it would have been similar to this from the 25th June. The only difference was that downstream interleaving was On (8) and upstream was Off (1).

This is how it looks now. As you can see the sync has gone way down and the attenuation/SNR margin has shot up.

The only other maybe notable thing was someone tried to phone me from Australia on Sunday morning and couldn't get through, she said the phone was ringing but she "only heard funny noises". However I tried phoning the landline from my mobile and got through just fine with no noises, so it could be a problem on her side.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Ringoko
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Speed dropped drastically since storms last week

Actually BT have now replied - they said there is no fault detected and would like to send an engineer out. However the problem lies not really with "line noise" as I reported but with my broadband. Should I submit a new fault under broadband rather than phone line? Or would this engineer be able to solve the broadband problem?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

If they want to send an engineer out why refuse?

Ringoko
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I just wasn't sure if you get an engineer specifically for broadband issues rather than line fault issues. Seeing as I reported the fault was with line noise (when there isn't any that I can hear) then maybe there's nothing he could do. But if an 'engineer' pretty much covers everything then of course, I'll go ahead and book the appointment.

0 Ratings