cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Speed dropped on BT Infinity 2 since it was 1st installed

Hi i have BT Infinity 2 and when it was first installed i was receiving 62 megs downstream and 16.77 megs upstream.

62.00 Mb/s16.77 Mb/s11 msSittingbourne~ 50 mi

These speeds lasted two weeks and since that time my speeds have been slowed down and i can now barely get 48 megs down and 11 up which is not acceptable as i have been offered far faster speeds by other providers.

48.07 Mb/s11.95 Mb/s19 msSittingbourne< 50 mi

Why have you dropped mys speeds down by such a vast amount?

I would like the max speed back as i was being sent in the 1st few weeks of having this Infinity or i might just have to change providers to someone who can provide a decent speed.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Speed dropped on BT Infinity 2 since it was 1st installed

Results from your own test system, this is after i have done a factory reset of the modem, which is hard wired to the box at the front door by a decent cable.

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 49.05 Mbps

0 Mbps57.23 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 49.05 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-57.23 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 57.23 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 11.4 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.4Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Speeds often drop after initial install as more people are connected and crosstalk lowers the available sync speed.  It is likely your original estimate was quite a bit lower than your original speed, because the estimate took account of this.  Also, the estimates have been lowered a few months ago as the effects were more than expected (irritating quite a few customers).  They are currently trialling a technique called vectoring which should considerably reduce the effects of crosstalk and give higher speeds again; not necessarily quite up to the speeds you may have had as an early adopter.

It would be helpful if you could post your estimate.  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome  And if you remember the original estimate when you contracted.  You are unlikely to get much help if your speed is above those.

You will have exactly the same connection from the cab to your house with any FTTC provider; the only alternative in most areas is Virgin cable.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange SELSEY is served by Cabinet 13

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTC Up to 48.8 Up to 8 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 14.5 -- 12.5 to 16 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 14.5 Up to 1.5 12.5 to 16 Available
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Mar-2014.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 5

It may be that you will get closer to your original speed again, or maybe not.  Without an unlocked modem it is impossible to see more of what is going on.  With the 57Mb profile you may get a little more than the 49Mb download you saw, but not much.  It also may be you had an intermittent fault and DLM lowered your speed and it will come back (eventually, maybe 3 weeks or so).   As you are getting slightly above your estimate you probably won't get much formal help from BT.  ****

So, sit tight and hope is your best strategy.

• 1: Don't play with the modem more than absolutely necessary, preferably not at all.  That can be misinterpreted as line errors by DLM and could cause you speed to lower. 
  • 2: Disconnect/reconnect the router each morning; either from the web interface or reset the hardware.  That will make sure that if DLM allows your sync speed to increase your IP profile will also be increased; it sometimes happens automatically and sometimes doesn't.

Good luck and fingers crossed ....

ps **** BT never do much to help on upload speed where you are below your estimate.  The BT tester is unreliable on upload speed anyway.  If upload is important to you, try the Thinkbroadband tester for that.  http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

0 Ratings