cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewartv
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Speed dropped to 15mb after line fault....

Hi,

Although I live 1km from the fibre to copper box, I have been consistently getting speeds of 21-23mb down and 4.5 to 5 mb up. BT put me on a Superfast Fibre Unlimited package with a guarantee of 22mb originally and up to now I have been happy (due to the distance from the exchange).

2 days ago the line went dead and an engineer traced the fault somewhere down the lane which he fixed. He mentioned about maybe having to swap line pairs and I did see a lot of water being emptied froma  junction box.

Speed now is  down at 15mb down and strangely greater than 6mb upload (despite stats showing this is not possible!) so streaming Netflix etc is stuttering now.

I attach 4 screen snapshots and see that despite my modem showing high line and connection speeds, the IP is now reset at 16.65 mbs. One image is also the BT DSL Checker which shows I should be getting better test speeds.

Should this have happened? If so, how long will it take to get back to where it used to be?

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks.

BT Speed Test 2018-09-13_212848.jpgBT Advanced Speed Test 2018-09-13_212944.jpgDSL Stat 2018-09-13_212556.jpg

BT Availability Checker 2018-09-13_214917a.jpg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Speed dropped to 15mb after line fault....

From your stats you have 21mb down and 4mb up speed. Btspeedtester has been giving incorrect results for a few weeks and is under review. Try running speedtest.net and see what that gives

can you enter your phone number and post results remember delete number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stewartv
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Speedtest.net gave similar results but much slower upload..
I have also edited my original post to provide the broadband availability results for my line as well.

speedtest net 2018-09-13_215914.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Your connection speed is below bottom estimate but above the handback speed

try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

are you currently using the test socket with a filter to eliminate your internal wiring causing problems - even if you currently use a filtered master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
stewartv
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Quietline test OK.

The BB line is in fact dedicated just for broadband - no additional internal house wiring and just the master socket. Yes. the modem has been connected to th etest socket as well. I am surprised if the DLM has suddenly reduced the IP Profile from where it was. 

It was all fine at 22-24mb until the external line fault which was 'fixed' this morning. (there was a break in the line I think).

In November 2016 the test results were as shown below....

Wholesale test 2016-11-18_092107.jpg

0 Ratings