cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Speed drops after new router installed

I installed a Smart Hub 2 late evening Friday 19/11/2021. I tested the broadband speed before the upgrade and was getting 55 Mbps down and 6-7 Mbps up. 

After the upgrade, I’m getting only 21 Mbps down, thought still 6-7Mbps up. This is still the case, 44 hours after the new router was installed.

Is this normal?  Is it time to prod BT to find out what’s happening?

TIA,

Chris

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Speed drops after new router installed

It's not normal as speed should be virtually the same.

Did you remember to turn of smart setup?

Can you post the hub stats - advanced setting then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

I'd forgotten to turn off Smart Setup. I just did that, then restarted the hub.  Still only getting 20 Mbps.

Here's the Technical log information:

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number1.85E+09
Fireware versionv0.27.07.07281-BT (Wed Jul 28 12:06:02 2021)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime0 days 0 Hours 3 Mins 58 Secs
Data rate6.0 Mbps / 21.5 Mbps
Maximum Data rate6.0 Mbps / 63.4 Mbps
Noise margin9.8/26.8
Line attenuation12.7/21.8
Signal attenuation11.0/25.9
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent/received12.8 MB Uploaded / 78.1 MB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-FiActive
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-GWA63M
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel1)
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-GWA63M
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel36)
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC address44:FE:3B:68:8C:7D
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection speed maybe also try different modem/rj11 cable.

Do you have a dial tone?  If so dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

It has all the hallmarks of a disconnected wire.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Looks to me like the DLM has reduced the speed due to all the restarting of the hub. It's best to now leave it alone and hope DLM Increaes the speed though it will take some time.

Message 7 of 16

Thanks, everyone.

Seeing as the only change was from Smart Hub to Smart Hub 2, something to do with that change is top suspect for me.  I think I'll give it a day or two to see if Dynamic Line Mgmt does put the speed back.  Then look at other candidates, with moaning to BT among them 😉

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

A simple test is to check for dial tone. Broadband can work very slowly on one wire but you need both for the phone to work.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

@Checked2013wrote:

Looks to me like the DLM has reduced the speed due to all the restarting of the hub. It's best to now leave it alone and hope DLM Increaes the speed though it will take some time.

On what do you base that diagnosis when the OP has only mentioned one restart of the hub? If you want to include the hub swap out then that only amounts to two restarts hours apart which should not cause DLM to act.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

How is the router connected to the master socket , presuming that’s where your router , (and the previous one ) is connected  ? do you use a separate filter or a built in interstitial cover on the socket ?, is everything connected securely ?, your downstream noise margin seems high , if everything was fine until you swapped the router , it suggests you are unlucky and the new router is faulty , the new router isn’t correctly installed, or it’s a big coincidence but the line developed a fault at the same time you were changing router….you could switch back to the old router temporarily and check the stats on that to compare one with the other .

0 Ratings