cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squidgey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Speed going down and down and down...

I used to get what I thought was a pretty healthy connection speed of 50MB+ (for the 12+ months) 

Then it dropped into the 40s, then the 30s, then the 20s and now its currently saying 13MB ! 

There's only one socket in the house, to which the modem is connected. There is nothing else connected, no phones or skyboxes, etc. It's connected via the DSL filter that came in the box. The master socket isn't split in 2, so there's no access to a test socket. 

I've unplugged and replugged the wiring at both ends anyway and rebooted the hub, now it says 25MB again. 

Availability checker says:

VDSL Range A (Clean)70.54918.812.540Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)55.733.116.38.527.4Available--

--

The technical log seems interesting however - the noise margin seems very high? Is there a way I can make this lower? (I assume lower is better...)

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

11-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 24 Minutes 55 Seconds

Data rate:

16.39 Mbps / 25.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

16517 / 55291

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 18.1 dB

Line attenuation:

19.5 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Speed going down and down and down...

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

your noise margin is very high hence the low speed compared to attainable speed.  you need to try and maintain a stable conenction  there is nothing you can do to manually lower noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
squidgey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

The line appears quiet, but getting a stable connection seems difficult, just now it lost connection and retrained at 22MB ! 

I've spoke to BT and they said they can send an engineer, but if he doesn't find anything or if it's not in their equipment there's a £129.99 charge. Considering there's only 1 socket in the house which BT's router is connected then I suggested that it's only their equipment connected, but they still say they may add the charge to the next bill. I feel I'm better off waiting for end of contract and moving to another provider as it could be cheaper! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

The Customer Service are wrong when they say you will be charged £129.99 if there is no fault found. You will not be charged if no fault is found. They are meant to advise you of the charge should there be a fault in your equipment or the wiring on your side of the master socket.  

If you have connected at the test socket on the master socket you will have eliminated your internal wiring which would mean any fault found would be at the BT side and not chargeable to you. 

EDIT: Just noticed that you do not have a split master socket.  If you have no extension sockets and nothing connected to the master socket you have you will have done all you can do to eliminate your side of the master socket so you should still not be charged.

0 Ratings
squidgey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

I don't have a landline telephone so the only thing connected to the master socket is a filter and the router, not sure the filter is even needed but it came in the box and instructions so it's fitted. 

Is there any way the filter could be faulty? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Yes it could so it would be worth changing it just to be sure.

When you say you don't have a phone, did you carry out the quiet line test?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
squidgey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

OK, I might need to invest in one then as I've only got the one that came in the box with the router! 

I carried out the quiet line test by borrowing next doors phone. Unfortunately they only have one of those DECT thingies rather than a corded variety so not ideal. There was a bit of hum in the background but I'm assuming that was the wireless phone. I didn't hear anything else abnormal. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

A gentle hum on a cordless phone is normal. It could be the filter although I doubt it but it is worth eliminating it as a possible problem. After that you will just need to get an engineer out to investigate the problem.

0 Ratings
squidgey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

I've spoken to another customer support person and all they've said is "OK, it'll be fixed by 30/05/18 at 12:37, is there anything else I can help you with?". I'm amazed they can give such accurate fix times! Maybe it's a known problem, but even then, they wouldn't normally give such a specific time! 

Or maybe its just their way of getting rid of me for 5 days! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Hopefully it will be fixed but I suspect your last sentence is more accurate.

0 Ratings