cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Speed halved?

Greetings,

The router has been disconnecting and reconnecting itself over the past few days and I've noticed that the speed of the connection has dropped from just over 9Mb/s Down and about 1Mb/s up to 4Mb/s Down and 232 kbps up.

So the "We have built in more than 10 times the capacity needed for everyday use, so have more than enough even with the massive increase in working from home that we’re seeing right now." may not be that accurate then huh!?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Speed halved?

... or you have a fault on your line and DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has lowered your speeds to try and maintain a stable connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

that's not caused by a capacity issue more likely a fault with your landline  have you checked for dial tone?  if ok then dial 17070 option 2 it should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

yeah funny you should mention a problem with the line... lift the hand set and the line is dead.

Now to jump through all the required hoops to get it fixed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

i would check using the test socket just in case the problem is your master faceplate or internal wiring before reporting a fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

You need to report it as no dial tone, do not mention the broadband problem. Phone faults get assigned a greater priority, as you would not be able to call emergency services otherwise.

One the phone line is fixed, your broadband speed will recover.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Start reporting the fault on Saturday and get to the part where I have to tick the box for:

I understand I may be charged.

Well I have a problem with that, as I've ruled out a problem with the internal wiring and tried another phone and still have the same problem, the the issue is with either the master socket or the external wiring or something else. So WHY do I have to tick that box in order to continue? Why is there not an alternative option to continue?

So I just left the process there in limbo. So I hear the phone ringing today and by the time I get to it it had stopped ringing but the line was still dead. So not that impressed with BT at the moment, had a similar problem when I was with EE and they fixed it in about an hour, all done via online chat, and I didn't have to tick any boxes to say I may be charged. Tried the BT Chat option on Saturday and was informed they were very busy and it may be best to try later, well I tried today and its not available at all now.

And when I look for alternative ways to contact BT they want me to phone them, would love to but its not working and there are no other options... FANTASTIC.

While I wait out the rest of my forced isolation it may be time to think on a new phone/ISP provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

It is to make you aware and acknowledge that you are aware there could be a charge if the fault is as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...

The reason being that in the past when people were given a bill they threw their hands up in horror because the said they had not been told even when they had been.

If you have carried out the tests as suggested it is most unlikely that the problem with your line will be chargeable.

No matter which way you report the fault to BT you will have to acknowledge that you have been made aware of a possible charge. If don't acknowledge this you will not get an engineer visit which means your fault will not be repaired.

The possible charge applies to all the ISPs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Wrong.
I've had this conversation with numerous BT employees over the years and I've never "ticked" the box and I've always had the issue fixed.
And as for the link;

• Your main socket, due to damage you've caused
    • No
  • Your home phone extension wiring
    • No excluded as master face plate removed and test socket tried, no change
  • The way you've connected up your equipment
    • No
  • Interference from something else in your home, like your phone, alarm system, or a faulty microfilter
    • No and changed filters for new ones, no change
  • A faulty BT Hub that's out of warranty (your Hub is in warranty if you're in contract)
    • No Hub is 5 months old, so should still be in warranty
  • Damage caused by damp, flood, fire, or building work
    • No
  • Damage outside caused by things like broken guttering or trees
    • No
  • Telephone wires that have been accidently cut
    • No

So why is there NOT an option for me to state the above? I would then NOT have to tick a box which could then lead to me being charged? I do not care that I may not be charged its the fact that I have been forced to tick a box to state that I understand that I can be charged. So never going to happen.

If fault is not fixed by weekend I will leave the house (even though I'm not supposed to) and visit the local EE shop and get them to change my provider, its that simple.

Funny how EE could fix the problem without me agreeing to anything and it only took them an hour, 2 days in and still no further forward. But due to the call earlier I'd guess an engineer did some tests but because I never "ticked" the box never solved the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Don't tick the box and don't agree when you call BT. Please post back with the results.

0 Ratings