cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Speed has been continually getting slower for past couple of years

I know some people here had access to check for congestion etc on specific cabinets a few years ago, I just wondered if anyone was still around who can do this.

My speed on my line was 70 down, and 11 up pretty much constantly for a few years. It eventually went down to 65 down and 10 up and stayed there for a while, then went down to 62ish for a while, then ~59 for a while, then ~56, then 53~ etc although upload was still at 9 up at that time. Today it sits at 48 down/6.5 up and shows no sign of stopping the fall as the most recent small drop was in the past 2 months. This is a decent sized drop.

One major issue is that as my speed has dropped, the speed I "should" get on the checker just drops with it, although my clean line range does suggest it should be as high as 55 down/13up - which is a faster upload speed than I got when I had 70 down . . . . . . 🤔

As far as I can tell there doesn't appear to be noise on the line although this is difficult to tell with a cheap phone. It doesn't sound any different to when I was at 70 I don't think. It rarely disconnects itself, two recent power cuts aside which are not normal for my area.

details.PNGdetails.png

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Speed has been continually getting slower for past couple of years

It's getting worse suddenly, yesterday found it has now dropped to 43 down/6.3 up. Not only this, but my stay fast guarantee which was 36 when I re-contracted last week (and I checked the email, it clearly states 36 in the email) has been changed to 30 in my account details instead.

As my speed decreases, they are changing the speed they supposedly guarantee so they never have to do anything - how the hell is that allowed!? I have now lost nearly 40% of what I know this line is capable of, and managed for 2-3 years constantly, and they seem to just move the goalposts so nothing will ever be done - even changing the "guarantee".

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Speed has been continually getting slower for past couple of years

@wyterabittwrote:

Not only this, but my stay fast guarantee which was 36 when I re-contracted last week (and I checked the email, it clearly states 36 in the email) has been changed to 30 in my account details instead.

As my speed decreases, they are changing the speed they supposedly guarantee so they never have to do anything - how the hell is that allowed!?

Your stayfast guarantee hasn't changed, that was what you contractually agreed to and you have the email to confirm.
When you see the 30 it's most likely what the new stayyfast guarantee would be if you renewed or changed packages, it's based on the recent history of your line speeds.

Best thing to do is ring 150 from a BT line or 0800 800 150 from any other network, speak with the 'Help' team to see if there is a fault.

0 Ratings