cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Speed has been lowered and upload speed isn't being maintained to specific site.

I got BT infinity when it was in my area, around 5 years ago.  It was brilliant,  65 up and 15 up all day every day, never dropped. I could stream to twitch tv, youtube, watching 4k netflix, it never felt slow, it never dropped, perfect.

Over the past few years my line has been changed, under the BT Line tools max is 65/15 however my speed recommendation is 30/5.  They tell me because I'm recieving 32/6 that there is nothing wrong with my line. However I know I always got 65/15, I thought maybe it was a line issue, they say no?

So that's very frustrating. However the real issue is my upload will not stay steady meaning I can't do my part time hobby of uploading and streaming. If I choose any server through OBS to twitch, be in 3,000kbs or 5000kbs, or 100... it will drop.  Its not a case of my internet cutting or my line being bad, it just will not sustain upload to these servers.

Is there a way to check BT isn't throttling these servers or me, or any issues? The online twitter support was frankly useless. After a week they just kept saying "We dont monitor upload, your line is fine" which ofcourse is nonsense, BT for sure can check peoples upload, I can using BT tools.

So basically can BT sort my line out and let me upload 4mbs to twitch without cutting me out all the time? LIKE it used to be for YEARS.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Speed has been lowered and upload speed isn't being maintained to specific site.

Hi, @ggzii welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems with your broadband speed, I can assure you that BT do not throttle your connection. 

Please can you post your router stats and we'll take a look? You'll get them by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser, if you have a home hub 5 please go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if it's a Smart Hub go to advanced settings then technical log information. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Speed has been lowered and upload speed isn't being maintained to specific site.

Yeah it's just my upload, it's never constant and as a result all my games are 200ping. This isn't a case of me setting my upload to high and lagging, I've capped it to 4mb out of 9, plenty remaining and even then it drops to 1mbs and I lag. I've tried every fix under the sun but BT wont accept there is anything wrong. I used to get 65/15 on this line, now they say my max is 30/7 and because I get that, there is "No issue".  But there is an issue.

I have attached the log here, thanks

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+2027001679

Firmware version:v0.30.01.08093-BT

Firmware updated:Mon Nov 29 09:19:35 2021

Board version:R01
GUI version:1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime:10 days,04 Hours02 Mins21 Secs
Data rate:9.428 Mbps / 41.001 Mbps
Maximum data rate:9.522 Mbps / 47.549 Mbps
Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off
Noise margin:6.1 / 5.7
Line attenuation:5.9 / 20.0
Signal attenuation:5.8 / 25.6

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:151.7 GB Uploaded / 222.4 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-N8AJ5H

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-N8AJ5H

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:18:82:8C:B0:9A:0C

Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Maybe it's the noise or maybe it's firmware. I might try roll back to older firmware if that's possible.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

you cannot roll back firmware.

any line noise  try 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

you cannot roll back firmware. That's odd, you should be able to, most modern routers let you.

"any line noise try 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone"

What does this mean?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@ggzii 

It means call that number from a corded rather than cordless phone & select option 2 and the line should be perfectly silent. If there's any noise report it to BT as a line fault , not mentioning broadband ,  for resolution.

A cordless phone can sometimes filter out any noise that's why a corded phone is recommended.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Thanks, lastly I wanted to ask if it's possible to use my own modem and third party Asus router with BT? The team on twitter told me

"Your modem was removed as it is redundant equipment, the modem is built into all our newer hubs. That is correct yes, BT do not support 3rd party routers  -ClaireC"

So I can't use my own router and modem with BT? I guess I will be moving then?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

You can use your own equipment, its just that BT cannot provide support for it, if you have a fault.

There are plenty of third party VDSL modem/routers that work with BT VDSL.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@ggziiwrote:

Thanks, lastly I wanted to ask if it's possible to use my own modem and third party Asus router with BT? The team on twitter told me

"Your modem was removed as it is redundant equipment, the modem is built into all our newer hubs. That is correct yes, BT do not support 3rd party routers  -ClaireC"

So I can't use my own router and modem with BT? I guess I will be moving then?

The forum is full of quiet line tests and the use of third party modems. Do a search.

The support for other modems comes from the wonderful volunteer customers on this forum.

Assuming you do not have a digital phone line.

0 Ratings