Did you mean: 
toasedsteve
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Speed not as expected?

My "router status" is always showing the following:

Downstream sync speed:20.00 Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 16.40 Mbps

But VDSL is up for 3 - 4 days at a time before it drops the connection, these are the stats:

Maximum data rate: 16499 / 51366
Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 20.4 dB
Line attenuation: 19.4 dB

When it does drop the connection, it always seems to get a good speed:

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=67785Kbps, Up Rate=16413Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB
dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=67326Kbps, Up Rate=16588Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB
dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=62311Kbps, Up Rate=18223Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB
dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=62434Kbps, Up Rate=16861Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com says my IP Profile is 19.4mbps

Customer services has told me so far:

1) Reset the hub (no difference, says the link is up at 60+ mbps, max speed 50+ mbps, actual speed 20mbps)

2) Use the test socket - I don't have one, nor do I have any extensions.

3) Disconnect the phone, I don't have a phone connected

4) Replace the filter, done that (no difference)

5) There's no network fault and your line tests OK, so we'll send an engineer out, but there may be a £130 charge. Do I agree to the charge? No, I don't.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Speed not as expected?

Chances are there is a 'line' problem, (20dB D/L noise margin) but without a master socket test port, proving the problem to the 'line' , that is what Openreach are responsible for ( by isolating the line from internal wiring, which is what you are responsible for ) could be tricky...you could try disconnecting everything apart from a corded phone and dialling 17070 , take the quiet line test and check for noise, if noisy report as noisy line to your landline provider.
If you only have 1 socket, then that must be your master socket, check that the 'line' from outside is properly terminated on A and B terminals on this socket and any visible cable to the socket is in good nick ( fair wear and tear is covered but damage isn't, ) and that no other wiring is else is connected, you say no extensions, but check as wiring may have been run, and just the sockets removed.
You could report the issue saying you don't have a NTE5 type master, but obviously run the risk that if the problem is on your own wiring , it may be a chargeable repair, but if the wire from outside terminates directly on the only socket, you cannot really do anything more , and hope the problem is outside ( it probably is ) 

0 Ratings
toasedsteve
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

So I'm allowed to unscrew the master socket? I thought I wasn't allowed to tamper with the master socket unless it was one which was in 2 halves ? (to gain access to the test socket)

I don't mind checking the wiring, but I don't want a fine for messing with something that's not my property.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 16

It's a grey area, all I'm suggesting is having a little look ,  is the socket branded with 'BT' or is it a decorative socket, many people replaced the original socket ?

TBH, all I was suggesting is checking that the cable from outside ( overhead or underground feed) is securely fixed on the A and B terminals, and that someone in the past hasn't connected extra cables at this point , if secure, and only the 'line' from outside is terminated , then you cannot really be expected to do anymore, and report the problem.....taking the quiet line test ( if the line is noisy)  adds to the probability that there is an external fault, and if so, the repair should be free and possibly they will upgrade your master to a NTE5 type socket

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

this may help  https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Master-socket/m-p/1747188#M54967

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
toasedsteve
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

I pulled the front off the box and there's 3 cables behind, each of which has 4 wires in it. Only one of those cables connects to the box of the socket with 2 wires - one going to either side of the socket (the other 2 snipped at the cable insulation). The other side of the socket is an outside wall and there's only 1 cable leaving the house and going underground, so I assume the other 2 cables are disconnected in the wall cavity somewhere.

I could quite easily remove the old socket and connect up another as they are only £3.50 for NTE5 and I already have the IDC tool. Just wondering though if I still have a problem whether or not BT will then say I created it.

Strange thing is, in the first 10 days I could easily hit 60mb+ so not sure it's a box/termination issue?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

Chances are it's not the socket or extension wiring, it's still worth doing the quiet line test , if the line is quiet when tested by you, then there is a chance it's your router (what router are you using ?) if the line is noisy , you can report it relatively risk free, you have done all you can to prove the fault to outside the property, if quiet on test though , and your provider says no fault when testing the line, you still need to be careful, because as well as charging when faults are on the customers own kit/wiring/sockets, they also don't like being called out when there isn't actually a fault and the engineer proves the line is fault free
0 Ratings
toasedsteve
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

the line is quiet when tested by  me, but I've only done it once, and it normally takes about 3 days before the hub loses connection, is it possible that you can get intermittant noise on the line? If so, how are they going to test for that? 

I using the HomeHub 6A, which they've already swapped out as the first one kept rebooting. 

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Honestly, BT and Openreach should stop threatening people with all this £130 charge non-sense and start doing their job!!! It's absolutley ridiculous! People are having issues with their broadband/phone. Engineers should come out, have a look at it and say these are your options. It's free of charge or we can fix it for you, but it's 130 quid! Simple as that... This is their job... In this case maybe I should start charging my company as well coming in to work 2 hours early for a meeting that will be cancelled just before it starts... If they really want a call out charge be introduced than go for it and make it £30-£40, but in my opinion £130 is extremely steep... Especially for elderlies who have limited knowledge about technology...

ps: sorry for this, but it makes me soooooo annoyed...

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 16

Although a contentious area, you can see why OR don't want to attend to when the problem isn't on something they  supply, for example, someone has a Sky TV box connected to the phoneline, Sky box develops a fault that affects the phoneline it's plugged into, customer calls their phone/broadband provider, that company calls OR , who are sent out to address, unplugs Sky box from phoneline, service restored.

Should this  visit be free ?, for the 30p a day OR get from the CP,  should this type of service be included  ?afterall  its nothing OR supplied , it's not really an OR 'fault' , and with no penalty , how many ludicrous call outs would OR have to make, if no penalty applied for 'inappropriate' calls outs, how much extra 'line rental' would you be prepared to pay for such a comprehensive service ?, calling OR out costs money , so attending just to advise (rather than fixing if it's the end users problem)  is still a cost to OR.

If you accept it should be charged for, this unneccesary OR involvement, who should pay ? , the company who called OR out, this is the current method, OR charge the CP, CP tend to charge the end user ( hence all the warnings about potential charges if the problem is of your own making from the CP)

The area that is really a problem is with FNF and RWT ( fault not found and right when tested ) , as faults can be intermittent ( especially with faults that appear in bad weather , but disappear when the weather is better) but TBH, if the CP charges their customer because OR charged them, in cases like this, it can be challenged .