Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AVRC
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Speed reduction since package upgrade weeks ago

Go to solution

I recieved an offer over Christmas and "upgraded" from the Superfast FIbre we were on to Superfast Fibre Plus. Previously our BT Hub 6A was connected at 55Mps down and 7 - 8Mbps up. The upgrade occured on the 21st December and the hub reconnected at 40Mbps down and 5.7Mbps up. It's comming up to 3 weeks now and the hub has restarted a few times but the speed remains at 40Mbps. 

I just had a live chat with BT, they ran a test and said there is no issue and then fobbed me off telling me to split my wifi channels. What that has to do with anything I don't know. They tell me they logged it as a complaint and promptly disconnected the chat before I could reply. I have a complaint reference.

We don't use the landline for a phone so I conencted a phone and ran the quiet line test but that was fine. We have no extension sockets so there is no other internal wiring. 

We had lots of issues towards the end of last year with engineers disconnecting us for no reason at the box and up the pole and then broken connections in the ground all of these issues were finally fixed with new lines fitted and many engineers visits and calls from BT. I'm very furstrated that simply changing a package which was supposed to be an upgrade has resulted in a not insignificant 15Mbps down loss!

Where do I go from here as I've just been fobbed off?

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 10.11.08 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 10.19.20 AM.png

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Speed reduction since package upgrade weeks ago

Go to solution

although you have no extension sockets have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps - post stats?

which exchange and cab are you on?

at present you max attainable is only 47mb which is lower than your estimated range and handback speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Exchange HEATH HAYES is served by Cabinet 8

I'll try the test socket shortly, unfortunately I have to move the room around to get to it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

are you connecting direct to master socket without using any telephone extension cables?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

No extensions, no. I mounted the hub on the wall so it's right next to the socket. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

like many other similar posts when you upgraded your line was reset which lost G.INP   this should be activated again by DLM once connection stable and will give a boost to your speed and reduce noise margin down to about 3db

0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

In the past I've been told this takes around 4 weeks and indeed have seen the speed change in the router stats each time it reconnected but this time each time it reconnects it's the exact same speed. Is the 4 weeks correct? Is there a timescale by which if this does not happen that it has to be another issue?

0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Forgot to update with results after trying test socket. As you can see still 40Mbps. The router reconnected twice yesterday, once I think was triggered by someone up the pole outside our house. I really cannot see this being the usual DLM reset thing as it's over 3 weeks now and we've not seen any change in speed at all, it's 40Mbps every time it reconnects, no variation and like I say, on our old BT package we were at 55Mpbs and that was a gradual increase of a few mbps every time it reconnected (after the faults were fixed). 

Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 4.27.32 AM.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

as you are in the test socket can you try the quiet line test to check for noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent apart from announcements

0 Ratings
AVRC
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution
There was an occasional crackle to begin with but after listening for a while it's silent between announcements
0 Ratings