cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Speed slow but close to exchange

For ever I was a Blueyonder then virgin customer, but was paying over £80 a month for what was meant to be 300Mbps and was never close to it, switched to BT, thinking it would be slightly slower than Virgin but would cost significantly less, and for the most part that is true, but today and for a while I am stuck at a rather pathetic 

34.998Mbps

I live about half a mile from the local exchange, and dont understand why one day it can be at 54Mbps still a bit crappy to this even worse 31.

I am sort of dissapointed and not dissapointed at the same time, its stable, more so than Virgin was, but sometimes sooooooo slow 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Speed slow but close to exchange

can you post stats fromyour hub  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet no noise and best done with corded phone

with fibre distance from exchange is immaterial it is distance from cabinet that counts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Product name: Smart Hub
Serial number: +088044+1743000425
Firmware version: v0.09.06.05093-BT
Firmware updated: Fri Jul 13 08:25:23 2018
Board version: 01
DSL uptime: 1 days,00 Hours46 Mins23 Secs
Data rate: 7.611 Mbps / 34.998 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 7.611 Mbps / 48.826 Mbps
Noise margin: 6.2 / 12.2
Line attenuation: 32.6 / 21.5
Signal attenuation: 32.2 / 19.5
Data sent / received: 992.2 MB / 39.7 GB
Broadband username: Removed
BT Wi-fi: No
2.4 GHz wireless network name: spothome24
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Channel:11
5 GHz wireless network name: spothome5
5 GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security: WPA2
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: Default
MAC address: EC:F4:51:79:6D:B8

0 Ratings
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Went through the hub speed tests, up to the point of turning it off and leaving it for 30 seconds (I would like to know why this would help?) and ran tests again with nothing connected to the unit

Then after all that, complete and utter waste of time Im told to call BT, which I am not going to do, that will take equaly as long and will likely end in some person telling me its my computer (which I know it is now because if I use my mobile as a hotspot I get 4.8Mbps download rathe rthan the 1.3-4 I get with BT!

Man I am starting to regret switching from Virgin to BT to be honest.  Sure the router is far more reliable than Virgin but I did have 5.5-7Mbps download speeds with Virgin

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

can you post the results from the dslchecker link I posted previously  this will give expected range of speed

did you try quiet line test?  any noise?

your stats showed only 1 day connection time was that due to manual reset or router dropping connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER Telephone Number 01622679875 on Exchange MAIDSTONE is served by Cabinet 55 Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper High Low High Low VDSL Range A (Clean) 51.2 35 10.9 7.1 32.4 Available Available -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 40.8 25.4 10 5.1 20 Available Available -- Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC FTTP Availability Date FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date Left in Jumper WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 3 to 8 Available -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5.5 Up to 1 3 to 8 Available -- -- ADSL Max Up to 4 -- 3 to 7 Available -- -- WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- Other Offerings Availability Date VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- Premise environment Status Bridge Tap N VRI N NTEFaceplate N Last Test Date 21-07-2018
0 Ratings
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

This forum is a bit **bleep**, I tried posting the results and it simply strips out the HTML aspect, so why is there an HTML tab???

Anyway,  a standard BB speed test shows a max 7Mbps down and 4.4Mbps up and I am pretty confident thats **bleep**, and I now regret the swap from Virgin to BT.  A reboot makes no difference at all.

IWhats worse is these log numbers suggest all is well, utter rubbish

0 Ratings
spottedhaggis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

If I wanted to buy my way out of this contract who do I contact?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

If you have received an email from BT regarding the forth coming price rises you can leave your contract without penalty.

If not you will need to pay cancellation fees. Contact 0800.800.030 to find out how much it will cost you and to cancel.

It will be expensive if you have just started a contract. 

You would be better to get the problem resolved rather than cancel.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

If you do the quiet line test suggested by @imjolly we'd know if you have a line fault.

17070 option 2.

0 Ratings