cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Speed tests on fibre 900 Wired

Hi I was wondering what speed test is the most reliable struggling with ookla and Fast seem to show different speeds.   Speeds inconsistent on download and it fine on the upload. Using a Wi-fi 6 router.  Also with wireless have a combined 5GHz and 2.4 ghz login . Does having to Two Wi-fi logins help. 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Speed tests on fibre 900 Wired

BT recommend using https://fast.com/  Speed tests should always be conducted with a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@tomhumph97 The FTTP team always asked me to use fast.com using IE when I called them. ookla is a good choice. What are the speed ranges / differences? Having two distinct WiFi’s will help switching between the two assuming you join only one and is sometimes necessary for specific devices to get them connected.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I have tried ookla on wireless and wired and I get about 900 mbps 

and when  it tried  Fast.com  it down to about just over 500mbps. 

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 12.53.40.pngIMG_0171.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@tomhumph97 I suspect your service is bang on, I wouldn’t be overly concerned 😀 with the difference in results. Enjoy.

You can also sign up for SamKnows if you want to monitor speeds etc. but you need to be selected for their program.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

With Intel wireless adapters (and I presume other makes) in the advanced configuration you can choose to prefer to connect at 5GHz. Before I did this it would sometimes connect at 2.4GHz which would half my download speed (can't split channels on my SH2).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Yea it is a lot better and worthy upgrade from the SH2 with ASUS AX88U you can split channels and get higher speeds. Wired and wireless.  Thanks I will have a look at that. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Same thing here did not channel split and not sure what band I was on get constant slow speed.
0 Ratings