Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danmdan
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Speed varies with gadget in use.

Go to solution

My Apple Mac Mini, using Speedtest, gives me a download speed of around 17.2 Mbps, upload 8.7 Mbps - but my Apple iPad 2, also using Speed test, says its download speed is 32 Mbps, upload between 7.4 and 9.2 Mbps.

So upload speeds are reasonably close, but download speeds are way apart.  Any thoughts, please ?

Broadband is BT Infinity 1, just recently installed.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
machasm
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Speed varies with gadget in use.

Go to solution
Using WiFi or wired?
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution
Are you using safri on the mini and an app on the ipad? Try using firefox on the mini and also do a speedtest on btwholesale speed test as well, after the bt speed test results go to further diagnostics where you will see your ip profile after completion.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Almost certainly down to wireless differences.  

How old is the Mac Mini, does it have N wireless or just G?  I think only quite an old one would be limited to G.  Check it has the latest drivers; though ios should usually ensure they are sensibly up to date.

Goto the Advanced Settings / Home Network on your router web interface (192.168.1.254),

click on each of the devices in turn, and it will tell you their wireless connection speed.

Typical download speeds are usually a bit under half the connection speed;

for a G device the best connection speed is 54Mbps, which typically gives 20Mbps download or a little less.

You could install inSSIDer (not free on the Mac) or iStumber (free on the Mac) on the Mac and see more details of signal strength, channel etc that may allow you to set up your HomeHub better for the Mac Mini.

danmdan
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

My Mac Mini is the 2011 version with OSX 10.8.3; I'm using Speedtest on both Mac and iPad 2, using the same server at Coventry for the tests.  The HH3 situated upstairs is set on a fixed channel 6 and connected to my Mac on the ground floor by Ethernet cable via a pair of powerline adapters; the ipad 2 uses wifi from the HH3 to perform the speed test.

As an aside I'm also considering swopping the HH3 for an Apple Airport Extreme.

0 Ratings
TheHorseman
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

What speed are your powerline devices, they could well be the problem.

Guru
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Sounds as if the powerline adaptors are the issue.  

What speed are they rated?  Powerline adaptors have lots of benefits, but they are even worse than wireless for not getting near the quoted speeds.  You really need ones rated at 500Mbps to get the best out of a good Infinity connection.  (It would be interesting to know your IP profile, as  Enigma123 asked.)

There is an oddity that plugging powerline adaptors into half a twin socket with computer equipment plugged in the other half can really slow down the powerline performance.  I didn't believe that when I first read it on someone else's post here, but I tested it out and it is true.  So if at all possible, plug your powerlines in at another socket within easy ethernet cable reach.

danmdan
Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I've just done tests using the Mac and a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone --

Mac - down 22.3 Mbps   Samsung S3 - down 28.4 Mbps

- up 7.95                                 -  up 12.9

Re: powerline adapters - they are rated at 200 Mbps

0 Ratings
danmdan
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Now there's a thing --

Mac tests with wifi only, then powerline, then wifi again --

Wifi                        - 29.62 down 8.55 up

Ethernet+powerline - 22.26 down, 8.59 up

Wifi again               - 26.62 down, 8.55 up

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Stupid question is your powerline adaptor connected to the gig port, Port number4 of the homehub? If So it would either be your adaptors or house wiring as the cable length has increased you signal speed will slow.