Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxfire70
Message 1 of 16

Speeds disappointing after upgrade

Hello folks
I'll keep my post as brief as possible.
I've been on Infinity 1 for over 18 months and decided to enquire about upgrading to Infinity 2 for better speeds.  A conversation with the BT sales team convinced me that despite being disapointed with a consistently low speed on Infinity 1 of 27meg (compared to the advertised 36+ meg for my line), I would definitely benefit from Infinity 2 and should get speeds close to 76meg down and 19up.  Naturally delighted with this information and assurance I decided to proceed and have entered into a new 12 month contract for Infinity 2.
I am now paying extra for something I'm simply not getting.  My download has increased moderately to 39.9 but my upload has remained at 8.4.  Both figures are a far cry from what I was expecting and the download report from the router clearly states I should be able to get 65 yet never do.
Quiet Line Test = good
Area Problem Check = Null

I can see the exchange from my window (less than 150 metres away) and my box is 50 metres down the road.  The Ledbury Exchange went next generation full copper in 2012 so we're not dealing with degraded aluminium connections here.
All BT tests have come back with the usual "your connection is good".  I feel like I am paying for something I should have been getting on Infinity 1 at a lower price.

Any help or advice appreciated.

1. Product name:    BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:    +068343+NQ42123919
3. Firmware version:    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 22/02/16
4. Board version:    BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:    0 days, 00:57:20
6. Data rate:    8496 / 39999
7. Maximum data rate:    8977 / 65299
8. Noise margin:    6.2 / 11.5
9. Line attenuation:    28.7 / 22.3
10. Signal attenuation:    28.4 / 21.3
11. Data sent/received:    79.4 MB / 528.3 MB
12. Broadband username:    bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:    Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:    BTHub5-ZKCN
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:    Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:    WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:    Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:    BTHub5-ZKCN
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:    Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:    WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:    Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:    Disabled
23. MAC Address:    40:f2:01:43:b8:56
24. Modulation:    G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:    AA
26. Boot loader:    1.0.0

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Speeds disappointing after upgrade

You haven't been switched to Infinity 2. Your line is still connecting at Infinity 1 rates (max 40meg). What I suspect is that your "slow" speeds are down to wireless connectivity. Changing to Infinity 2 will not change this as your router is currently getting 40meg, but for whatever reason, be it technological or interference, you're "only" getting 27meg wirelessly. It probably makes no sense for you to change to Infinity 2 to be honest. Can you run a speedtest at speedtest.btwholesale.com using a WIRED connection to a PC or laptop. Run the further diagnostics after the initial test and post the results here.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
foxfire70
Message 3 of 16

Hi Webby, many thanks for your reply

My status on the BT website shows me as having BT Infinity 2 and I am definitely connected via wire (I'm on a gaming desktop with no wireless adaptor).

infinity2.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Then it seems there's been a problem or delay. Your "capped" at 40meg at the moment (Infinity 1) so you'll need to call and check the order has gone through correctly, if it has, then a fault needs to be raised. If you're connected via an Ethernet cable directly to the hub (not via homeplug powerline adaptors) can you run the further diagnostics test at speedtest.btwholesale.com and post the results please?

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
foxfire70
Message 5 of 16

thank you..

infinity1.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

The be honest, there is nothing wrong with those speeds and unless you have a very busy household with multiple devices all wanting to watch HD content or use very high bandwidth services, you're going to see zero real work difference in your internet usage. Perhaps if you regularly download very large files you may see a decrease in the time these take but really, if it's not all that regular, it's probably not worth it. The choice is of course yours. Looking at your router stats, you should get close to about 65meg connection speed when the "cap" that's restricting your speed is lifted. There doesn't look to be any room for improvement on your upload speeds though.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

from your 20mb up profile looks like you are on infinity2

are you having problems maintaining stable conenction  just conenction time short

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Missed that! Odd that it's connected at 39999 though, unless of course the connection has been unstable and DLM has the line on a banded profile. Regardless, the advice in my previous post still stands.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

@Webby wrote:
Missed that! Odd that it's connected at 39999 though, unless of course the connection has been unstable and DLM has the line on a banded profile.

my thoughts exactly.  if decided to upgrade for whatever reason then you expect to get the higher speed line capable of

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
foxfire70
Message 10 of 16

my house can indeed be quite busy traffic wise at times.  What with online gaming, streaming TV, streaming movies etc.  That's why I switched to faster speeds.  It's not good having a household of "plugged in people" who whine constantly about high pings, latency, buffering and pixelization. These same people turn to dust if they venture into sunlight :).

I'm waiting to speak with BT support to make I've been switched to Infinity 2.

Thanks again for your responses.

0 Ratings