Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calwong
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Speeds down from 36mb to 20mb and upload from 7mb to 0-1mb

Go to solution

Hello for about a month now my internet has dropped in speeds to which the upload speed is so low everything else is slow.

I have already contacted BT support and they said everything is fine and that the problem may be that there are more customers now in my area?

At some point within the month my bt router restarted and the speeds I used to have were back! for a day or 2.

Is this normal for anyone else? should I keep enquiring BT about it? they keep telling me that its within the correct speeds? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Speeds down from 36mb to 20mb and upload from 7mb to 0-1mb

Go to solution

@Calwong 

Have you tried a single disconnect of the home hub from the phone line for about 20 seconds to see if the connection speed recovers, as it could just have been a burst of interference causing the hub to reconnect at a lower speed?

Calwong
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Wow its as simple as that cant believe BT didn't even recommend this to me thanks for the big help!
And even then BT excuse was that "There may be more customers now in your area".
Will know what to do next time!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

If it starts happening a lot, then it could indicate some form of electrical interference which is causing the connection quality to drop. Even a working party interruption on the external network can cause this as well.

A quick disconnection will force a re-train, and is less intrusive that a restart of the home hub, and recovery is much quicker.