Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KyleMac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Speeds halved since migration to new closer cabinet

Go to solution

We had a live to live migration to a closer cabinet at the end of March and since then our speeds have halved. I contacted BDUK/council and finally got a reply that Openreach consider the work complete and I should contact BT instead.

Pre April 2019 we were syncing at about 17/1 which was capped by an IP profile to 15/1 and performed solidly at those speeds.

Post April 2019 we're paying £55/month for approximately 50/10 on Fibre 1 but syncing at only 40/2 and only actually getting about 8/0.25. The BT further diagnostics speed test always errors so I can't find out if we're capped by an IP profile.

btstats.png

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Speeds halved since migration to new closer cabinet

Go to solution
From the stats you have posted it looks like you are on the essential package with a 40/2mb connection speed
Try contacting options team 0800800030 and get them to move you to super fast fibre 1 which is 55/10mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KyleMac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

As previously stated, we are already on Fibre 1.

Regardless, even the Essentials package would be faster than 8/0.25.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

You are not getting 8/0.25, as you can see from the stats you posted you are getting 40/2 connection speed. Can you carry out a speedtest here and when it completes carry out the further diagnostics test and post the results. The test must be done with a wired connection not wifi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
KyleMac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

There is already a screenshot from the BT speed test you linked to in my original post. It's also mentioned in the text of the post. Yes it was carried out with a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Unfortunately without the further diagnostics its not easy to see if the problem is congestion.

0 Ratings
KyleMac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

The further diagnostics stopped working about two months ago after the live to live migration. The wholesale checker stopped working as well but fixed itself after about a week.

I assumed it would all fix itself but since Openreach has told the council the work is complete there's apparently nothing left to do and nothing further will change by itself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

I have asked if one of the mods can take a look, it looks as though your line has been misconfigured if it is supposed to be a 55/10 service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

@KyleMac  you may have signed up for super fast 1 but as I said already and as @licquorice has said you have ended up wrongly on the 40/2mb package as can be seen from your router stats

Try using a different browser to run btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KyleMac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

The browser doesn't affect the BT speed test. I've been trying to get further diagnostics to work for two months.

In terms of actual speed it's the same ~8mbit on BT's test, Google's test, speedtest-cli, the built on one on my router, etc. Nothing has improved in over two months since the live to live migration.

The only difference is the basic BT speed tester always reports 3000+ ping but I assume that's a bug as actual pings are fine.

0 Ratings