Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
teratrix
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Speeds have more than halved, slow lagging internet

I joined BT infinity in November 2012. The first two months or so were great with downloads speeds at about 1.2mbps.

But then around March/April the speed dropped to between 0.2 and 0.4mbps. When I was online it also started to lag and stick, but I don't know if this was due to connection or my browser (I use firefox). I've since reset the browser and it's not lagging as much but it still sticks a bit.

The service status in my area is fine, my phone line is fine, my router is fine everything is plugged in the way it's supposed to be. When the BT man came out in November to install it he said the download speed would always be at around 1.0mbps because that's what it is for my area.

I wanted to wait a few months to see if it would go back up but it never did. I'm paying £43 a month to get these kind of speeds it's ridiculous.

I did the speed test: (using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com)

Download Speed (Mbps):     2.03
Upload Speed (Mbps):         2.82
Ping Latency (ms):             63.25

I'm not going to contact BT because they'll probably tell me to ring somebody and I'll probably get nowhere. If I can't fix this problem myself I'll have to leave BT. Hope someone can help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Speeds have more than halved, slow lagging internet

The minimum speed for Infinity is 15Mbps. If you're getting less than that either you have a fault or you're not on Infinity.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
teratrix
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi there. I'm with BT infinity I've got the box the router came in. I checked the service status for faults and it said there were none. Don't know how accurate the service status checker is though.

15mbps?! The highest I've ever gotten is 1.2mbps. So if that's true I've been scammed big time by BT.

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 4 of 11

do you have the homehub as well as thr white openreach modem or just a homehub? if you have homehub only you are on adsl broadband and if you have 2 boxes, a homehub and a white modem you are on infinity

0 Ratings
teratrix
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Hi I just have the homehub. I'm sure I'm on infinity the BT guy who came to install said it was infinity and it says it on the box the router came in. Plus it costs £43 a month. I don't think you'd pay that much for adsl broadband.

Are you with infinity do you have both the homehub and white openreach modem?!

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 6 of 11

if you dont have a 2 box set up ( homehub as well as white openreach modem) and just have the homehub you are on adsl broadband and not infinity as infinity needs the extra modem to read the internet signal. the minimum acceptable speed for infinity is 16mbps according to bt so you definately have adsl broadband, anyway you can check by looking at the homehub stats, you may want to copy and paste the hh stats into this thread for some of the more experienced forum members to have a look at and then they could advise you better. if you have infinity the white modem will be probably placed beside your master phone socket

0 Ratings
teratrix
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Oh I actually do have the white openreach modem. Its connected at the bottom of the wall under the table so I forgot I had it because it was down near the phone socket where I couldn't see it. Smiley Indifferent

I can't believe that the minimum acceptable speed is 16mbps I've never gotten above 1.2mbps how can that be?! It's actually now only at 0.2 - 0.4 mbps which even for regular broadband would be considered slow!

What are the hh stats and where do you find them?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 11

The relevant stats will be in the modem, not the HomeHub.  The HomeHub stats only apply to ADSL.  Unfortunately, the modem comes locked, and unless you unlock it you won't be able to view the stats.

Can you please repeat the test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com,  and when it is complete try the 'further diagnostics' button.  Then reports the speeds (as you already have) and also the IP Profile that the further diagnostics will give you.

Have you got the computer connected wired or wireless to the HomeHub?  If wireless, try again with a wired connection.  Even if you can't regularly use wired it is important for testing to narrow down where the issue might be.

Also, find your estimated speed.  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity#services-checker, click 'Can I get BT Infinity', and enter your telephone number.  That doesn't prove anything, but can be useful extra information.

0 Ratings
teratrix
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I don't know how to do wired connection I don't have any other wires in the box the router came in. They're all plugged into the router and the modem.

I tired to do furthur diagnostics but you have to put in a 'BT broadband service ID' which I haven't got.

Headaches Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 11

There's a box for your phone number instead.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings