cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Speeds massively impacted

Go to solution

So i was on a fibre line, that was always reporting 78down and 19.9 up, and now its reporting 37 down, and 5 up, which is just shocking, can barely download anything with how slow this speed is, ping is now 20-30 instead of the old 10 ping, the router never ever restarts unless i restart it manually, and it never drops connection either, so im not sure if the router was confused from me moving it, or i've been randomly downgraded to some low-end connection, I did not expect to be paying £80+ a month for a 37mb down and 5up connection... I've restarted the router 400 times, even switched cables and still same crappy connection results..

DSL Line Status.pngHelp-Desk.png

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Speeds massively impacted

Go to solution

DslChecker =

cabinet.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@welshe1 

Probably a disconnection on one wire of your line. Broadband will still work with one line disconnected, but it will be much slower.

If you plug a phone in, do you get dial tone?

If you do not, then that would indicate a disconnection, and you would need to report the fault as no dial tone. Once the phone line is fixed, the speed will return to normal.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Restarting your router "400 times" will do nothing except eventually make your problem worse. DLM (Dynamic Line Management) will see this as a fault and lower your speeds to try and maintain a connection. 

Report a fault as has previously been suggested and stop restarting your router.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

House phone works completely fine, haven't had a single issue for months, no random disconnects, and the house phone has worked 100% of the time with no issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@welshe1 wrote:

House phone works completely fine, haven't had a single issue for months, no random disconnects, and the house phone has worked 100% of the time with no issues.

Then perhaps you have a disconnection on the microfilter, or your speed is being affected by your internal wiring? Perhaps you have an unfiltered device connected to your wiring?

You need to check at the test socket, by connecting things up as shown below.

infinity_test.jpg

Or if you have a new type of socket.

nte 5c testing from test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I have the old style socket,

I have nothing connected to the socket my wiring goes like this :

Wall Socket : MicroFilter - Splits the phone & internet cable for the router' nothing else is connected

I will connect to the master-socket and see if there is any difference and let you know (:

Addon :

So i did some testing, from the master-socket with a filter to my home-phone i no longer get a dial-tone and have a bunch of noises and static sounds, but with the face-plate on and the exact same scenario it works perfect, dial tone clear as day and 0 static or random sounds, also the internet is in the same situation, works with the face-plate on, and doesnt with it off, so not really sure whats going on here?

And with the face-plate installed back on, with the filter between the phone & internet both work perfectly, except obviously my impacted internet speed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Then there is something wrong with your internal wiring.

You should always get dial tone at the test socket.

I would suspect that your master socket is not wired correctly, as the external line should always be connected behind the back plate. It looks like your line is coming in via the extension wiring.

This needs to be sorted, you will have to find out where your line comes in.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Yeah im not quite sure were the line comes in, i know there is a pole outside probley less than 50metres away that open-reach engineers are frequency climbing, and it has a box attached to it, but i don't think that has anything todo with my house as it's very old and nobody has ever put a line over from the pole or anything, so i guess ill just report a fault and let bt sort it,

Thanks for the help, (addon) : i notice inside the test-socket the hole to the left-side has a bunch of loose cables that are cut, and just dangling there, (socket is VERY old) so probley just shoddily installed honestly,

Thanks anyway

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

If you cannot locate the problem, you may have to request a visit from Openreach.

As its old wiring and master socket, you may be lucky and they will upgrade it for free by running a new wire from the dropwire connection, to a new type master socket.

I would give BT a call, and report the problem.

0 Ratings