cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beechey
Message 1 of 9

Speeds way below what me and the engineer expected

Hello, I've been with BT for a few months now (used Total Broadband while I waited for Infinity in my area) and have not really had any issues - that is until today. I had the engineer come to my house to do his thing and install BT Infinity and the modem, so he did. It registered 80Mbps download and 20Mbps upload on his device, but as soon as we went to test it on my computer, it showed me (on all speedtests I did) that I was only achieving around ~12 to 15Mbps download (should be far, far higher) and 7 to 14Mbps upload (which should be fairly higher). I know the issue is not down to distance between my house and the cabinet, because the cabinet is literally outside my house, the router itself is registering around 130Mbps download (as I was told by the engineer), and we both had no idea why that wasn't translating on any device in my house.

He also told me that I'm the first person in my village to actually get BT Infinity, and that my cabinet must have just be finished, so I'm unsure whether that has any meaning to the issue. Also, please keep in mind that it was installed today, at around 13:00, so it has been about 4 hours since then. The engineer also told me that this should not be dropping my download speed by 70Mbps, even keeping in mind the 7 to 10 day waiting period. I'm completely stumped on this, and any help would be incredibly appreciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ryansjk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Speeds way below what me and the engineer expected

I have the same situation at the moment. It's driving me mad. Your problem completely sums up mine in another thread.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Are you doing the speedtest with a wired (Ethernet) connection
As the speed you say the router is showing 130mb is a wireless file transfer speed not a down load speed
0 Ratings
Beechey
Message 4 of 9

I've tried it with wired, wireless and via powerline adapter - it is always the same.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that wireless seemed to give me better speeds than via ethernet, probably because the cable is absurdly long, and I'm pretty close to my router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

some of the speedtest.net sites do report low speeds normally the London sites are among the best
0 Ratings
Beechey
Message 6 of 9

If by that you meant to do a speedtest with London's servers:

Also, my actual download speed would indicate that speedtest.net's speed estimated are correct (I'm getting ~1.5 to 1.8MB/s).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Yes that is certainly a very low speed you look like you need an engineer visit again as something is certainly wrong however BT will not act until after the first 10 days so. It looks like for now. You will just have to sit it out till then then I would suggest contacting the forum mod team and get them involved rather then the help line
0 Ratings
Beechey
Message 8 of 9

I've got an appointment with a technical support person in BT tomorrow, do you think they might be able to help me in this issue? It is something I'd rather get fixed very soon rather than later, after all I only got BT Infinity today, and it is already causing me some issues.

0 Ratings
Beechey
Message 9 of 9

So I just ran BT Wholesale Diagnostics, download came in at 77.89Mbps and upload, for some reason, came in at 0.01Mbps, didn't think to copy them, going to have to wait another hour to post them as I've already used it 3 times in the last hour. This is a real pain.

EDIT: Here we go!

0 Ratings