Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Speedtester.bt.com error message

Hi

I have not long got infinity installed at the current address I live in, aftre the engineer attned he connected me up to the wrong circuit, this has now been resolved. However ever since I have been activated I have never been able to use www.speedtester.bt.com to test my circuit I keep getting error message "test error" I have called BT and an agent did a remote connection and tested three browsers with the same error message, the agent says its a known issue and should be sorted within five days, its now past this and still same error message, has anyone else having this problem?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Speedtester.bt.com error message

Try this tester: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ sometimes this can happen on when you've just upgraded to Infinity. B.T speedtester plays up from time to time as well. 

On the tester i just posted, continue on to 'further diagnostics' for your I.P profiles which will show you your connection rate. 

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Hi Aarong,

Thanks for the reply, however same problem there still get test error message, while I can test the speed of the service which I am having a problem with, I can not test the circuit. I have had FTTC in two properties and never had a problem with speedtester.bt.com. I feel the fault lays in the provisioning of the order. Issue with speed is only 25 meg down and 14 meg up, with the upstream alone I should be in around 50 meg mark for downstream sync speed and around 45 meg for ip profile, I may have the sync speed, however the ip profile could be too low and again I can't see that due to the test error.

Allan

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 14

BT speedtester is incompatible with Java 7, which could be your issue. As Aarong says, try http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ instead. I needed explicitly to allow Java7 through my firewall before even that wholesale one would work.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 14

@RubberNutter wrote:

Hi Aarong,

Thanks for the reply, however same problem there still get test error message, while I can test the speed of the service which I am having a problem with, I can not test the circuit. I have had FTTC in two properties and never had a problem with speedtester.bt.com. I feel the fault lays in the provisioning of the order. Issue with speed is only 25 meg down and 14 meg up, with the upstream alone I should be in around 50 meg mark for downstream sync speed and around 45 meg for ip profile, I may have the sync speed, however the ip profile could be too low and again I can't see that due to the test error.

Allan

I would suggest giving it a few days, i couldn't use the B.T speedtester until a good few days after my install.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 6 of 14

@sjtp wrote:
BT speedtester is incompatible with Java 7, which could be your issue. As Aarong says, try http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ instead. I needed explicitly to allow Java7 through my firewall before even that wholesale one would work.

Java 7 works for me mate, using IE9 as a browser. I couldn't get the speedtest to work when I was on Java 6 but as soon as I update it, hey presto!?!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 14

Java 7 works for me mate, using IE9 as a browser.   Wierd, thats on Speedtester.bt.com?  I thought I had found something that behaved consistently (if not correctly) in this curious maze of DLM, routers and speedtesters; but I was wrong.  (That  said, I am quite happy with the serivce provision itself at the moment.)

0 Ratings
martpu
Expert
Message 8 of 14

Yep, www.speedtester.bt.com using the ADSL & FTTC Diagnostics test. The beta works flawlessly on both Java versions too.

The ADSL & FTTC test used to work fine on Java 6 though the last test I ran was probably a good 3 weeks ago. Decided to run one again a few nights back and it would run both the down and up tests but it simply wouldn't get passed the up test to share the results after I got the '100% test completed' message.

Decided to update Java to 7 and it's worked a treat!?!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 14

@martpu: Yhanks for the answer.  I guess http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html works for you as well?  Everything works on my old laptop (Java6), thought that is slow wireless so only useful for checking profiles.  Now, all 3 are broken on my main machine; any browser.  I'll have to delve deeper; most peculiar.

~~~

Deeper delve.  After various web searches and experiments, it appears to be an issue with my ipv6, which Java7 uses by default.  Short term resolution is to use the following

set _JAVA_OPTIONS=java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Looking deeper into better solution.  

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 10 of 14

I can't get BT speed test to run on any browser either
iechyd da
0 Ratings