cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 35

Stable for a month after cable change, now restarting daily and speeds going down

Go to solution

I had been having problems with my broadband speeds, but after talking to Neil in Dublin and a cable being changed running from the pole outside my house, my speeds and connections have been wonderfully stable for over a month. Until this week. Starting from Sunday, my router has dropped out approx 6 times and each time the speeds have dropped and the noise margins have increased. 

Could the heat/weather be causing this? Perhaps damaging the nice new cable? Any other ideas anyone ? I was getting 51mbps but now it's down to 44, dropping a couple each time it disconnects. The way it's going I'll get put back down to what I was on before all this was fixed, when my speed was capped (not the right term for it, but I can't remember the correct one at the moment )

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 35

Re: Stable for a month after cable change, now network dropping regularly and speeds going down

Go to solution

Additional info...up until the latest time it disconnected, the system remained on. 10 days in total. The network dropped but the router stayed on. The last time it rebooted as both system and network uptime are now in sync. 

I guess this means strictly speaking it isn’t restarting daily, but network is dropping at least daily. 

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 35

Re: Stable for a month after cable change, now network dropping regularly and speeds going down

Go to solution

This is getting beyond a joke now - my line has dropped again today and my speeds have dropped down to 42mbps. For over 6 weeks, after the cable was changed,  it was running very happily, no drop outs, at between 48 and 52190mbps. Just beautiful. No screams from kids that the wifi was down. 

Is it a possibility that the current temperatures are affecting my line? Will my speeds ever go up again once everything stabilises again,  or will I end up with a banded, immoveable rate again?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 35

Go to solution
Post the hub stats
Try quiet line test with corded phone
Are you using test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection and stability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 35

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 17.43.29.jpgSaturdayScreen Shot 2018-07-25 at 17.44.21.jpgToday

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 35

Go to solution

Will do a line test in the master socket - hadn't got around to that, as I was wondering if the heat could be affecting the network and that it wasn't just my line affected...?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 35

Go to solution

Test socket with a filter would be better as that eliminates your internal wiring and also the faceplate as possibly causing problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 35

Go to solution

And it's dropped again. Now my speed is down to 40! This really isn't funny. It seems to drop around the same time every day - at the peak heat of the day around 4.30pm.

I can't test the master socket yet as we are going away for a few days, but in theory, if things stabilise, will the speeds gradually climb again or am I stuck on a downward trajectory? Really would appreciate the answer to this question. 

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 35

Go to solution

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 14.52.44.jpgLatest stats - any helpful comments appreciated

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 35

Go to solution

Once stable your speeds should rise again. As @imjolly has stated you really need to connect to the test socket.