Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
finnra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Stable speeds but awful ping jitter on BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

Hi,

I have BT Infinity 1 with a BT Hub 6. Get about 20 down and 7 up which fine by me for internet speeds in my area. However, playing games smoothly is almost impossible as there is continual ping jitter. This occured at my parent's house as well before I moved out and got my own internet package. I will be in a game of CS:GO for example and my "ideal" ping (i.e. when it isn't fluctuating) will be 35ms, but every 2-3 seconds the ping goes up to about 80ms and back down to 35ms. This will happen all game, it never ceases and I don't understand how there can be that much jitter on a 20/7 line. Any ideas on how to improve this? This also happens when I have tested with 2 different BT Hub 6(s) and a BT Hub 5. 

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Stable speeds but awful ping jitter on BT Infinity 1

Go to solution

Is there any other device using the connection when this occurs?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
finnra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I think I have found the solution, I get a rating of D on http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest regarding buffer float and general quality. Due to the BT Hub 6 not having any QoS (Thanks BT great product), I am just going to buy a new router. Was thinking the TP-LINK W9970?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

A very popular choice on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@finnra wrote:

I think I have found the solution, I get a rating of D on http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest regarding buffer float and general quality. Due to the BT Hub 6 not having any QoS (Thanks BT great product), I am just going to buy a new router. Was thinking the TP-LINK W9970?

You may get some improvement if your problem is due to other people using your connection, but it does need very careful attention to the actual settings and device IP adresses, to get the priority correct.

Generally its the upload priority which is critical, as that determines how quickly any action you take in a game, gets to the server.

The upload path is also used by people streaming content, downloading files, sending email attachments, and uploading videos. Streaming content will often result in bursts of upload data, at regular intervals, which are sent to the server for quality control.

If your ping is bad, even if nobody else is using your connection, then the problem is likely to be elsewhere.

Just to add, you must always use an Ethernet connection, not wireless.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Interesting test that dslreports website.

I use the W9970 on ADSL, and get Overall A  and Bufferbloat A and quality B.

My download speed is 7.39Mbs and upload 651Kbs.

0 Ratings