cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Stage 1 install now changed to stage 2

Go to solution

Hi,

I am waiting for my FTTP 300 installation which is due for 25th March.

It was originally listed as a Stage 1 install which I thought was an install which was started and completed on the same visit?

I also hoped that it would mean no CSP fitted and the cable to go directly through the wall to the ONT.

However, there was a knock on the door the other morning and I opened it to find a Kelly Comms van outside.

I must admit, my heart sank a bit after reading some of the comments on here about the standards of their work.

Turns out to be a really nice chap and he done a nice job fitting the shotgun cable with the copper being joined to my existing landline and the fibre going down the wall to a grey CSP box.

He said they are going around doing as much as they can to get rid of any backlogs etc.. and making the final fit easier and faster. So my install is now a 2 stage and with a CSP which I was hoping to avoid!

The thing is, when they come to finish the install they will have to run the fibre from the CSP back up the wall again (very near to where the pole cable joins the house), then through a hole into the upstairs office where I want the ONT located..

My question is this, would it not be easier to pull the fibre from the CSP and just feed it directly through the wall into the office, theres certainly enough fibre to do this and it would mean no external splice. A real quick and simple install to be honest.

Do I have to have the CSP or can they feed the fibre directly into a property without one?  It's big and ugly and has a cable running down my front wall only to go back up the wall to the upstairs office again.

I was also told that I'm not able to have DV yet which I assume is why he fitted shotgun cable?

Cheers,

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Stage 1 install now changed to stage 2

Go to solution

As far as I'm aware, all installs have a CSP. I'm sure @Starwire  will be along to confirm.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Not sure where you got the idea from that a 1 Stage doesn’t involve having a CSP Installed, 1 Stage, 2 Stage, all have a CSP Installed now as Openreach stopped using FFC’s because they are absolute d0g w%#€.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I thought I read that on the community somewhere. Obviously I misread or misunderstood what I read.

I just thought it was a waste of fibre, a CSP and engineers time whereas the cable could literally enter the house a few feet from where the cable comes over from the pole. 

Not sure what an FFC is but it didn't sound good! 

Fingers crossed the install goes ahead. 

Cheers for the info.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

FFC, field fit connector ( probably ) and apparently a high failure rate , so they don’t use them anymore 

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Yeah, the infamous Field Fit Connector. They had a 25% Failure Rate so it was virtually guaranteed for every 4 you fitted at least 1 would go faulty.

They were a bad idea in principle and even worse when used out in the field.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

CSP was installed for me too, overhead feed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Well, yes theres still time left but its not looking hopeful.

Install booked today between 8 and 1.

BT have sent tons of messages about "make sure you're ready", "open windows", "make sure you're in", "your engineers name is xxxxxxx", "his mobile number is xxxxxxx".

The mobile is permanently switched off!

Finally got through to BT after 30 minutes, on hold while he checked something out only to get cut off after 15.

Eventually got through to FTTP team and basically told to wait and if its a no show then they will arrange an 'emergency installation'?

This sort of incompetence makes my blood boil.

I booked the morning slot, as I have (had!) things to do this afternoon. Now I have to stay in all day in the hope that they might turn up.

Openreach must know that I am booked in for a morning install, so why can't someone there update me.

Very unprofessional to just be totally ignored. 😞

Not impressed......

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Well....

I stand corrected.

They turned up about 5pm!

Probably took 30 minutes or so and I am pretty happy with the speeds.

300/49  + 7ms ping

Just need to sort a little switch box now as the new SH2 has 1 less port.

Also need to pair it to the wifi disc that I've kept.

Good to go.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Glad you got it sorted.
0 Ratings