cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snaga
Message 1 of 6

Staplehurst - NDSTA

Hi there

i am connected to this exchange in Kent. A lot of the green cabinets have been upgraded to new fibre cabinets. Im currently not with BT, but with a different company providing line rental as well. as far as i can see i am connected to cabinet 4. this cabinet has a no fibre one next to it, but im still not able to get fibre!!!

Now i am very aware i am a long way from the exchange, however fttc reduces my copper line distance by over a mile which should increase my speed by a factor of 4!!!

My postcode is TN17 2BS.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Staplehurst - NDSTA

Hi Snaga,

Cabinet 4 on the STAPLEHURST is FTTC Fibre enabled.

However you seem to be too far away from the FTTC fibre cabinet to obtain a VDSL2 (which is used in FTTC) fibre signal

FTTC fibre broadband uses VDSL or VDSL2 signals that travel from the FTTC cabinet to your property via the existing copper (sometimes aluminium) line and can currently achieve upto 80mbps. The further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the fibre FTTC broadband will be.

However VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Generally speaking if your landline is over 1500 meters in length from the FTTC cabinet to your property then you may not be able to get BT Infinity as you may not be able to achieve over 15mbps, though maybe able to get BT Retail's sub 15mbps FTTC fibre broadband service called BT Faster Unlimited broadband (FTTC) if your line can cope with the VDSL/2 higher frequencies.

However looking at your distance from the cabinet and what the BT Wholesale database says, you may not be able to get any FTTC fibre broadband service or the speed may not be much faster then your current ADSL broadband.

Here is a graph that shows the ADSL(G.DMT,ADSL2 and ADSL2+) and VDSL/2 (FTTC) signal with distance. Please be aware that all ADSL connections are depend on distance from local exchange, where as FTTC (VDSL/2) connections are depend on distance from your FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Though all connection types are also depend on line quality. 

This graph is also just a general estimation of what the speed could be achieved and not the actual speed you will receive. Also your line maybe longer than you would think as it may not go the direct way to either the cabinet.

There is a thing called FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) where FTTC areas can request to get FTTP installed to their property if their exchange has been allows FTTPoD (though only a certain amount of places and ISPs offer this at them moment), though may cost you thousands if you go down this route once ISPs take up this FTTPoD service.

In conclusion Unless Openreach (who owns and maintain the fibre broadband infrastructure in your exchange area) either installs a new PCP and Dslam cabinet nearer to your property, or you order FTTPoD (Fibre to the Premisies On Demand) [not currently being supported by any ISP] which may cost you thousands, then I'm afraid it may be several years or so until the FTTC fibre infrastructure is improved by Openreach.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Snaga
Message 3 of 6

i just assumed that as the distance was so greatly reduced i would still get better speeds. 12mb vs 4mb.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Snaga,

I'm afraid not. The FTTC service has no direct impact or improvement to normal ADSL (G.DMT, ADSL2/2+) service as the Fibre Infrastructure is completely separate.

Your ADSL service will still be running over the same "copper " pair all the way back to the exchange as it was before. It won't run through the FTTC fibre infrastructure.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Snaga
Message 5 of 6

but if i got fibre, surely the copper would only then be from the cabinet rather than the exchange?

pulling at straws here!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

You are to far from the cabinet - vdsl degrades over far shorter distance than adsl just look at the chart

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings