Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarloCol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Star plan 1a and new 5c master socket

Go to solution
I have a an ancient wiring configuration that I think is known as Plan 1a or star plan. There are 4 separate cable runs from an outside grey box, one of these doesn't go to any socket I can find, another two are terminated on early BT "plug-in" boxes and the 4th leg has a more up-to-date line box used for Infinity broadband. A few months back, an engineer called to correct an identified line fault and he replaced the Infinity front plate with a mark 2 version of the latest Openreach 5c. Speeds improved for a while, but have progressively fallen from 50+ Mbs down to 18Mbs. (I'm paying for upto 70).
Having done some research, I see star wiring can cause issues with FTTC infinity and that it is usual for engineers to advise removal of the star wiring when installing infinity.
I'm wondering if the last engineer ought to have done that and if I now request another visit, whether I'll be expected to pay for it?
Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Star plan 1a and new 5c master socket

Go to solution
Really surprised last engineer did not rewire the outside master to avoid the star wiring I would get engineer visit to sort out the wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
If he’s fitted an SSFP onto the NTE Socket it’s possible it’s not Star Wired but Back Wired?

Or it could be the Engineer was new and wasn’t aware to check for Star Wiring. This wouldn’t surprise me as the training provided to New Recruits is really **bleep** poor.

Then again it could be the Engineer saw the Star Wiring and couldn’t be arsed as he wanted to go home early and just pretended he didn’t see it.
DarloCol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for this.
The faceplate says "Openreach MK4"
Don't know if that clarifies anything.
I'm one step up from Father Ted's Dougal in these matters.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

normally all your internal connections would come from the master socket whereas in your case you have extensions coming from the outside socket where the openreach incoming wire meets your internal connection.  this is star wiring and causes problems with broadband  you need to engineer to rewire the external master to get rid of star wiring

in normal connections if you take front plate of the master and connect to the test socket which you can now see you should only get a dial tone at that socket and any other socket should be 'dead'  in star wiring the sockets would still have a dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
DarloCol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you imjolly.
So if it just "looks" like star wiring because it's backwired as suggested as a possibility by starwire2000, then all of the sockets on all of the legs should not have dial tone when the front plate is removed at the master?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

if the engineer made the correct changes to the outside master then yes if you remove the front on the MK5c then there should be no dial tone at any extension socket

DarloCol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Many thanks to the guys who replied here. Armed now with a better understanding of the wiring issues, I have been able to carry out the suggested checks.
Fair play to the engineer who attended last Autumn, it seems he DID back wire the master socket to the outside master junction box. (I just wish he had told me he had done it).
So my current issue is not a repeat of previous problems, but (it seems) is probably a hub issue.
Thanks again guys.
0 Ratings
DarloCol
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Just to complete the saga; turns out the joint in the outside box was the problem. Heavily corroded and a new cable is to be pulled through....
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

great - thanks for update

0 Ratings