cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Stayfast quick question(s)

Hey folks, tried to find a definitive answer online but can someone help to answer this.

I get the speed to hub and device will vary and bt will only guarantee to hub but if my stayfast is 14mb, and I start streaming etc, am i correct in assuming that the speed should not fall below the 14 if i run a speed test to hub and only the speed to devices will reduce especially if over a wireless setup?

Cheers

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Stayfast quick question(s)

Correct, sync speed (as measured at the hub, speedtest sites don't measure sync speed) won't be affected by streaming etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 30

if you check your hub stats and as long as your connection speed is above 14mb then that is ok   connection speed should not vary when you are downloading or streaming

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 4 of 30

Thanks (i take it you mean under the 192.168........)  I did that and its fine.  The reason i asked is that when i run the recommended tests either via btw or via the app, it says the speed to my hub is lower when i'm using it not the speed to device.  Last night when i was uploading some stuff to one drive, the d/l dropped to 8mb and the upload to < 1mb.  Nothing else was being used on the network.  As soon as i paused the upload, my speeds ran as normal.

Daft question - do the router hub stats only re-sync after a reboot or are they active and accurate each time you access (e.g. could they be reading 24 from a time it was fixed, but since no reboots, the actual speed could be lower now.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 30

Your sync speed at the hub stats page will only change when your hub re-syncs to the DSLAM, either because of a line break or reboot of the hub.

You cannot measure sync speed by any other method than looking at the hub stats.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 6 of 30

ok, so the only way to measure if i'm achieving the stayfast guranteed speed is to reboot my router and recheck the stats? seems counter productive as reboot would then signal a disconnect (i've been down that road before and a mod had to get DLM reset).

is the bt speedtest useless then (either via the bt website/app/or btwholesale website) for monitoring stayfast guarantee.  the one on bt website says it runs a test to the hub not the device in use, therefore, should this not always be above the stayfast guarantee whether there are things using my connection or not?

"We guarantee the speed to your hub. Check your speed using the MyBT app, online or by calling 0800 800 150. If after 30 days we can’t get you back to the speed we promised we’ll give you a £20 BT Reward Card. Up to four claims a year. Excludes outages, connection faults and home wiring outside of BT’s control."

sorry if i'm crosing wires here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 30

No, it is not the measurement that changes with a reboot it is the actual speed. Sync speed remains constant, it doesn't vary. It only changes if the hub and DSLAM in the cabinet re-sync.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

no ISP will guarantee your download speed.. your guarantee is connection speed to the hub as shown in the hub stats not by any speed test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alan_mc
Contributor
Message 9 of 30

so whats this all about then ?

"We guarantee the speed to your hub. Check your speed using the MyBT app, online or by calling 0800 800 150. If after 30 days we can’t get you back to the speed we promised we’ll give you a £20 BT Reward Card. Up to four claims a year. Excludes outages, connection faults and home wiring outside of BT’s control."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

@alan_mc wrote:

so whats this all about then ?

"We guarantee the speed to your hub. Check your speed using the MyBT app, online or by calling 0800 800 150. If after 30 days we can’t get you back to the speed we promised we’ll give you a £20 BT Reward Card. Up to four claims a year. Excludes outages, connection faults and home wiring outside of BT’s control."

That would appear to contradict itself, the guaranteed speed is the sync speed to the hub not any speed measured with a speedtest.

0 Ratings