Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg82825
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Steam

Hello,

For the last week I cannot get steam to open, it briefly shows up an update window and then crashes. It is like something has killed the process. The reason I am asking here is my broadband speed recently doubled to what it should be ( 60mb infinity 2) and it was then steam stopped working. Is anyone else seeing this or not? I want to rule out a BT problem. Also, how do I get onto the router settings to check the firewall?

Thanks,

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Greg82825
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Steam

bump

0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Hi*

I take it that steam is an (online) gaming application?

It sounds like it cannot initiate and crashes. I don't think it would be due to your Infinity speeds doubling. One way to test it is to disconnect your PC/laptop from your network so it is "standalone" and the start steam. If it comes up ok then it maybe a network issue.

Not sure if you have HH3 or HH4 but you should have been given admin logon details. If you connect to 192.168.1.254 then that should take you to the HH login. You can then go to the Advanced tab and then check port fowarding etc.

Hope that helps. Please click the white star next to this post if you found this useful.

ptan

Highlighted
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

My download speed increased by a factor of 40-50 when I had Infinity installed. It made no difference to Steam on my machine and neither did I have to touch the firewall in any way after changing from my old router to the HH3.

Personally I'd suggest removing Steam completely, i.e. uninstalling it, and then dowloading and re-installing it afresh.  Your software data is held on Steam's servers and not on the local machine, so you won't lose any of the stuff you're entitled to by trying this.

ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

"Steam" cannot be downloaded,it is intergrated into games when you buy them retail and is installed when the game is installed,and you nust be online when installing the game[s] because Steam is used by software companys for security reasons.

One game that uses it is "Skyrim",but nearly all games are Steam related these days.

If you can`t get your Steam client to start when you click on the Steam Icon,or run a Steam based game then you need to try to visit the Steam site and try to contact them in some way,because if you lose your Steam access you can`t run any games that you have purchased from Steam.

Greg82825
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the responses.

I tried disconnection my connection entirly, and steam still crashed the same way, but as is pointed out here you need to be connected for steam to run anyway. I have tried reinstalling steam aswell now, but it hasnt helped at all. So as suggested I will get in contact with steam somehow.

THanks again.

0 Ratings
roge8014
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Hi Greg

You can contact Steam Support here

Also they make some suggestions where Steam crashes during updating here , not sure if any of it will be useful.

Good luck!

0 Ratings
canveyboy
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Steam client can be downloaded....

The easiest way is to uninstall steam, reboot your pc and reinstall it.

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

It did this to me a few days ago, so I just killed the steam.exe process in the task manager, then relaunched Steam and it worked as normal.

I'd suggest, as others have said, to reinstall it.

If that doesn't work then perhaps you have a hardware issue, such as your hard drive on its way out.

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Also if you have a game that requires Steam to be run either Offline or Online,try running it,if your Steam install is ok then it will run,if not you will just have to re-install Steam as stated by others.

Only try the below if you have a retail disk for a Steam required game.

Just uninstall the game [ retail disk based] that requires Steam,then re-install the game,it should then bring up a Steam window asking you if you wish to use an excisting account or open a new one,just input you UN and PW for Steam and it should then update everything for you and also cure your Steam problems.

0 Ratings