cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Still getting full speeds despite 3 extensions + star wiring?

I’m currently on the 76 download package. I have 4 extensions with star wiring but I still get full speeds of 76. 

should I remove the extension wiring even if I’m getting full speeds? I thought having more extensions and star wiring deteriorates your speed but I’m still getting the full 76?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Still getting full speeds despite 3 extensions + star wiring?

If it ain't broke and you're happy then leave well alone

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Haha I’m just curious as to why people say star wiring is bad when I’m getting full speeds on star wiring for 4+ extensions
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

where are the extensions connected if not master - maybe a junction box where incoming openreach wiring connects to internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

My wiring is as follows:

Master socket -> junction box (no 5 terminal) upstairs -> 3 extension cables. On my no 2 terminal I have a downstairs extension
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

if the incoming openreach connection goes first to your master and then to junction box which then feeds your extension wiring then that is not star wiring.  star wiring happens when you connect your extensions  before the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Star wiring isn't considered good practice but at the end of the day it's the REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) that's important. This depends on the REN of each connected device, the number of devices connected, and, if the jobs been done completely wrong, the number of master sockets you have (there should only be one)  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

How is it possible to get an internet connection by connecting the extension sockets before the master socket? There’s no a and b terminal on the extension sockets??
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@VishalM wrote:
How is it possible to get an internet connection by connecting the extension sockets before the master socket? There’s no a and b terminal on the extension sockets??

From your post I assume your extensions are all connected after the incoming openreach cable is  connected to terminals A&B in master socket  - probably a connection from terminals 2&5 in master to one or more of your extensions  this is not star wiring

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Yes that is correct. So star wiring would be incoming openreach cable - junction box - extension and then from the extension the master socket is connected?
0 Ratings