Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gbsh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Streaming TV catchup services on infinity 2

Hi All,

Contract is up soon and I thinking of leaving BT

What is the point of this 'superfast' broadband if you can't even watch catch-up TV streaming services without constant re-buffering or timeouts. Been getting constantly worst over the last 6 months to the point now where it's unusable. Yes I can still get download speed test results around the 50Mb (down form 70Mb), which BT say is acceptable, but cant watch UK catch-up services. Looks like to many subscribers at exchange syndrome or is BT prioritizing their own services others?

Any others connected to the Worksop exchange in here with similar experience’s

Regards

Gary

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Streaming TV catchup services on infinity 2

I don't think its an exchange issue -  a lot of Infinity customers have been experiencing problems over the las month or so.

But you should check out your home network connections and ensure that you have no line issues before considering any of my further comments (for which at some point I am likelyto be banned).

So!!!

Therein lies the question many on these forums are starting to ask. Have BT themselves got the capacity to provide Infinity speeds as advertised to customers at peak usage times, especially as they are now Media Content providers not just data carriers.

Let us not forget that BT have payed over £1bn in TV rights for both Championship League and Premier League rights... and Provide IPTV through the BTVision products. This is less than was spent on infrastructure in the last year (I would need to research all the figures and debunk the govt subsidies in 'roll out' to give you accurate figures but these are ball-park £s).

Are they really treating ALL DATA as EQUAL?

---------

from http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/traffic-management

"BT Vision traffic is managed over the network to ensure that on demand films are delivered to customers successfully. Additional bandwidth is provided to support this service."

So to read this correctly network speed for 'ALL' other data types including Media Streaming (other than BTVision) may given a lower priority than BTVision Traffic.

or that's the way I read it anyway and may explain a lot of the - slow ping - stuttering games - buffering content issues that may of us are experiencing at peak late afternoon / evening times.

Just my thoughts on the current issues that crop up here... I'm sorry it doesnt help. - But do check out your line connection speeds etc before deciding whether to renew contracts etc as it may be a line fault - or the dreaded HH

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

blinkinlight are you on the Worksop exchange?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Nope sorry I'm on Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.But have been following and contributing to this site over the last few weeks since experiencing lots of 'dropped' packet issues and streaming thru catchup (iPlayer etc services) - at first I thought it was a line problem (as an experienced IT person I knew it wasn't at my end and BT support were beyond useless - so I came to the forums looking for answers and found many people having similar issues accross the network - which would suggest (supperficially at least) that the problem lies in the core routing/balancing system << my opinion only.

While these forums prove useful for many people for many users the issues remain ongoing with BT in a sort of 'denial mode'. Please remember these are community forums - so apart from the Mods any suggestions or opinions are all from other users.

Since I would say beginning of December there have been issues - there is a long topic thread here -

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-issues-for-the-last-few-days/td...

but the forums allow similar posts which keep knocking it down the forum board  - a tactic I would call 'hiding thru obfuscation' - lots of people with similar issues - all ongoing and all unresolved (since they sporadicly re-appear every few days.

Are your problems consistant (aka every day & at all times of day?) - a lot of is see problems only at peak late afternoon evening times.

Do you experience slow loading web pages (missing graphics or page elements) which can normally be rectified with a page refresh?

Sporadic dropping and buffering of streaming media inc BBC iPlayer/YouTube?

Time outs and freezes on online games?

These are all the issues many have been complaining of over the last few weeks and I suspect are all inter related - although I note from your post that you say this has been going on for months.

Have you checked out your line speed/noise or any other issues on the home network. There are people here who can help you with that although you will find most of the info in other threads.

I am just playing the 'pedant' at the moment until somone comes up with a decent answer/solution to why I should (like you) be paying for a premium service that stutters and *raps-out every so often.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

I think if people with problems stated which exchange they are connected to it would help to highlight which areas of the country are having problems thus leading to a resolution.

This may help https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I think if you had read the posts you would find we both stated our exchanges.

Quote - Any others connected to the Worksop exchange in here with similar experience’s

and I replied Nope I'm Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.

That's why I asked him if he'd done any line checks... I know ive given up on them as they are unrelaible unless you really have a line issue - I can walk out my door turn left walk 10 yards and spit on my cabinet - but that just means line stats come back as AS GOOD or BETTER than advertised for Infinity 2.

But it doesnt stop packet loss and stuttering video.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

Actually you replied to my question 😉
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

oh pls - that just gets my goat - which means you really didn't read anything at all LOL.

Pedantic Drools

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

Someone else reported problems earlier in the year https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Worksop-Exchange/td-p/1198149
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

ok so that was back in March - this user is complaining of ongoing issues NOW - or did some Openreach engineer forget to reset all the profiles from affected users?

0 Ratings