Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Stuck BRAS Profile

Go to solution

I had a line fault about a month ago and my 12MB connection dropped to 3MB. After the fault was fixed (dodgy connections fixed and some old cable replaced), the speed crept back up to 8MB, but has been stuck at 8MB for about 3 weeks now.

The stats below suggest to me that the connection speed should be higher. Is this likely to be a stuck IP/BRAS profile and if so, how do I get it reset?

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084319+NQ62852631
Firmware version: SG4B100021F4
Firmware updated: 22/06/16
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.28.3
DSL uptime: 1 Days, 19 Hours 37 Minutes 35 Seconds
Data rate: 1.17 kbps / 8.80 kbps
Maximum data rate: 1173 / 13245
Noise margin: 6.3 / 12.6
Line attenuation: 29.3

My IP profile is apparently 8.51 (bt speed test) and the speed range (bt availability checker) should be 11.4 to 16.8. My upstream IP profile is 10!

Obviously, I've tried contacting BT, but I can't find anyone who recognises this as a problem, they just point to the fact that the connection is working, but have no explanation as to why the connection is so much slower now that remedial work on the line has been done! The phone engineer that came out says there's nothing he can do as this is a broadband rather than a phone fault.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Stuck BRAS Profile

Go to solution
Banded profile as opposed to stuck bRAS profile.

DLM should relent providing a stable connection is maintained. How lobg that will take is the million Dollar question.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Webby,

Thanks for your reply. I guess what I'm asking is whether 3 weeks and counting with a stuck profile is within the realms of normal or excessive. If it's normal, how far long does a normal wait extend? If it's excessive, then I need to get BT to do something about it and the question is what and how.

Do you have any ideas from your experience on the forum or elsewhere as to long people usually wait for a banded profile to be removed? Is three weeks with a stable connection normal or starting to get excessive?

Does anyone else have any views?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

DLM also monitors the error rate on the line, which is something that you cannot see on the newest home hubs, so its not possible to tell whether excessive line errors are holding back the increase in speed.

Changes in line conditions over a number of days would also be taken into account.

A good guide to line conditions is to keep a check on the Maximum data rate, as this will vary as conditions change.

A drop in this value will also be reflected in the downstream noise margin, as the two are directly related.

If the max data rate and noise margin drop at some point during the day, most likely in the evening, then this could indicate some form of electrical interference.

DLM will be taking this into account, and will not make any changes to the connection speed if it sees a point where the max data rate is very close to the connection speed, or the noise margin drops to 6dB.

The object of DLM, is to maintain a stable connection 24/7 , with the minimum number of data re-transmissions (CRC Errors). CRC errors put addition strain on the capacity of the equipment, and will affect throughput.

You are very unlikely to notice the difference between 12mbs and 8mbs.

I would not spend too much time being concerned about it. By all means keep a watch on the two parameters I mentioned, and see how much they vary over a period of time.

I think a stable connection is more important than a slight speed drop.

There is a bit more about DLM on this post which applies to Infinity as well.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/How-to-speed-up-return-to-normal-ADSL-speeds...

SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. I have been watching those parameters. The noise margin is always between 12 and 14, I've never seen it drop below 12 unless it does it in the dead of night. The maximum data rate (coincidentally) is the same, somewhere between 12 and 14 all day long.

Believe me, we would definitely notice the difference between 8MB and 12MB - that's a 50% increase in speed spread across several bandwidth hungry teenagers...

Does anyone else have any experience of a stuck profile and a possible solution?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Thats fine. The only thing that cannot be seen at your end, is the error rate.

Unfortunately BT Retail cannot reset DLM, as Openreach own the equipment in the cabinets. You could ask for a visit from an Openreach Field Technician who can measure the speed, and request a reset.

You would be warned about a £130 charge if there is no fault found.

Ignoring the connection speed at the moment, have you run speed tests at different times of the day, using the BT Wholesale tester?

If the line is erroring, then a reset by Openreach may actually make things slower, due to re-transmissions.

On ADSL, where you can see the error rate on some home hubs, it was not unusual for someone to have a good connection speed, but poor throughput, due to CRC errors.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

@SteveB2 wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. I have been watching those parameters. The noise margin is always between 12 and 14, I've never seen it drop below 12 unless it does it in the dead of night. The maximum data rate (coincidentally) is the same, somewhere between 12 and 14 all day long.

Believe me, we would definitely notice the difference between 8MB and 12MB - that's a 50% increase in speed spread across several bandwidth hungry teenagers...

Does anyone else have any experience of a stuck profile and a possible solution?

My line has been banded since an event that happened in April, the line has been perfectly ok since (I monitor the line stats, including error performance, continuously) but DLM hasn't relented. Openreach will only perform a DLM reset if a fault is found. There is a school of thought that stuck banding is a fault in itself and as such should result in a DLM reset. As my speed is perfectly adequate I haven't pursued with a fix.

0 Ratings
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks licquorice,

The thing is a fault was found adn fixed, but by a phone engineer rather than a broadband engineer. I registered the fault as broadband, but as the phone line was noisy (we don't use it) they changed it to a phone fault. Unfortunately, phone engineers don't seem to be able to reset the DLM.

So my problem is that they sent the wrong engineer out who fixed a phone problem that I didn't care about but not the broadband problem which I did!

As you say, a stuck banding could reasonably be considered a fault in itself especially when it brings the speed down to below the 10MB USO.

From my perspective, I had a nice quick connection at 12-13MB, the line developed a fault and they've only partially fixed it leaving me with 8MB. I'd had the 12MB speed for several years so either the DLM is stuck or the problem isn't fully fixed yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I resolve this?

0 Ratings
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

My understanding is taht if an engineer comes out he won't see the stuck profile as a fault. There needs to be a physical fault that he has to correct before he can reset the DLM.

I had speeds of 12-13M for two years before the line fault and the phone engineer said that he'd replaced quite a lot of cabling that should improve broadband speeds. So I should be getting faster speeds now with fewer errors as the line is better quality than I had before. Instead, I'm getting much slower speeds so either I've got a stuck profile which needs fixing or there are still problems on the line which also need fixing.

The trouble is, as far as the phone engineer is concerned the line is fine and as far as the broadband engineer is concerned, he cant' rest the DLM unless he finds a fault.

I can't be the only person with this problem, does anyone have any constructive suggestions as to how to move forward and at least get my old speeds back?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Is your phone still noisy, its actually quite important to test your phone line at regular intervals. Make a test call, or make it ring by calling it from your mobile.

This is the reason.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people like yourself that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better. It will get fixed quicker, as there are plenty of Field Technicians who can fix phone faults, but not many broadband ones.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

An interesting thread here http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29287

0 Ratings