Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: Stuck BRAS Profile

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

The phone line is fixed, there's no noise on it when you plug a phone in and simply plugging a phone in doesn't solve the broadband problem in this instance.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to resolve the problem of a stuck profile following a line fault?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Go to solution

@SteveB2 wrote:

Hi Keith,

The phone line is fixed, there's no noise on it when you plug a phone in and simply plugging a phone in doesn't solve the broadband problem in this instance.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to resolve the problem of a stuck profile following a line fault?

The only option is going to be a visit.

0 Ratings
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

But will they see a stuck profile as a fault? I don't mind paying £130 if they fix it (though I shouldn't have to), but I'm worried that I'll have to pay £130 and they still won't fix it!

Does anyone else have any useful suggestions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

If you have a HH5 type A, you can monitor the line stats using RouterStatsHub http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm  at least you will then be able to see if there is an underlying fault still causing the problem.

SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice,

I do still have the HH5 Type A, but they made me buy a SmartHub as part of the fix for the line fault. I can plut the HH5A back in and then I just type in the URL below?

Presumably, there's not an equivalent function on the SmartHub (I'm worried about disconnecting the hub and what effect that might have on the IP profile).

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

@SteveB2 wrote:

Thanks Licquorice,

I do still have the HH5 Type A, but they made me buy a SmartHub as part of the fix for the line fault.

Demand your money back, there is absolutely no reason to buy one to fix a line fault.

I can plut the HH5A back in and then I just type in the URL below?

Yes, just download the program and follow the instructions.

Presumably, there's not an equivalent function on the SmartHub (I'm worried about disconnecting the hub and what effect that might have on the IP profile).

No. As long as you only disconnect once DLM won't intervene further. De-power the hub before disconnecting from line.

Thanks again.

SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice,

The HH5 keept disconnecting 3-4 times per day I thought that it was trying to get higher speeds because the margin was so high, but when I spoke to BT they said it was faulty and sold me the SmartHub at a discount (£50 instead of £120). It doesn't disconnect as often but it's still at the same capped speed unfortunately.

I'll try the routerstats software, but I'm pretty confident that the line is OK (they found a fault and upgraded the line so it should be better than the 12M speed I had for years, not worse.)

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution
It's only "worse" because of the historic dropping connection.

It can take months for DLM to release a banding depending on many factors which have already been mentioned in this thread.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SteveB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Webby,

The point is that the fault is fixed so there's no real reason for this not to be reflected in my speed. The speed drops quickly when there's a problem (as it should), but if a fault is found and fixed there should be some way of telling the DLM this so that it essentially treats it like a new connection and finds the best speed with what is essentially a new line.

That being said, I'm only interested in practical not ideal World solutions and I realise that we have to work with the system that's in place.

What I'm after therefore are practical suggestions as to how to get this problem fixed. Waiting for months isn't an acceptable solution especially as there's no guarantee that things will get better on their own.

I appreciate the time you've taken to read this thred and to to comment, but please try and provide practical advice.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

@SteveB2 I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your broadband speed. You'll need to get a Broadband boost engineer appointment booked and they will be able to reset the DLM. Our broadband faults team can be contacted on this link.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You