Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tenbyboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Stuck IP profile?

Hi all

I'm having issues with my line. My next door neighbour had some dodgy outside lights at Christmas which caused 48 re-syncs over one six hour period, meaning my line was banded at 40Mbps! Long story short, I had a DLM reset a several weeks ago and have been happily sync'd at 66Mbps ever since. Whilst the engineer was at the house, he said the line is perfect.

However, the BT Wholesale Speedtester says the IP profile for my line is 57.66Mbps and I never get speeds over 55Mbps. If I use the BT ADSL checker, the observed speeds are 66.91Mbps which correlate (see modem stats below) with my sync speed.

Obviously something is wrong BT's end. Any ideas people? I'm thinking a stuck profile.

I'm on the Superfast Fibre Plus package.

BTADSLChecker.jpg

Connection stats

adsl info --stats
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 17575 Kbps, Downstream rate = 66041 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 17601 Kbps, Downstream rate = 66057 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        3.2             5.9
Attn(dB):        19.2            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        12.7            7.5

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Stuck IP profile?

Can you post the results from btspeedtester diagnostic test please. Done with Ethernet connection

your profile is based on your connection speed not other way round. From your 3.2db noise margin it would appear you have G.INP enable which can give lower profile percentage and cannot be changed manually

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tenbyboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply @imjolly - the BT Sppedtest Diagnostic results are below. As I said, the modem is sync'd at 66Mbps and has been for nearly a month now with no disconnections. Surely the 'observed speed' of 66.91Mbps on the BT Adsl checker report means that, even with G.inp enabled, I should be getting speeds closer to the 66Mbps than the 55Mbps I'm getting.

To me, it looks like BT have be on a profile for the (if it still exists!) up to 55Mbps product. Am I totally wrong?

BT-Speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

sorry but how could you with a profile of 57.66mb possibly be linked to the old infinity 1 max of 55mb connection speed and therefore a far lower profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tenbyboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@imjolly

Obviously I'm not an expert - hence why I'm asking for help on here. If sarcasm was what I was after, I'd ask the wife what thoughts she has on the issue!

Don't worry, I won't bother you again - thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hi @tenbyboy 

The max observed speed is the max observed sync speed, it should really say that for clarity, hence why it's nearly exactly the same as your current sync.

Your IP profile (57.66) will then always be lower than the sync speed due to 'technical reasons', and your actual throughput (55.12) will in practice be lower still.

You've definitely got an up to 80 profile, if it was set to 55, I'm 90% sure the sync rate would be capped there, or it's the IP profile, anyone reading this feel free to correct me. EIiher way you're above 55 in both so it's all good.

So all in all it seems like your connection running perfectly Smiley Happy

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

sorry you took it that way as that was not intended  however just looking at figures profile compared to max 55mb would show that you have not been confused with infinity 1

you have G.INP active hence the speed boost and low noise margin of 3.2db  this explains aboit G.INP  https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm   looks like you are currently set on retransmission high