cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spicnspan7
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Stuck at 5mb Download rate

Hi again guys.  So my connection is having average of 11-12mb download speed since it was activated.  It has been disconnecting everyday and sometimes it can disconnect serveral times in one day.  This past three days the download rate went down to 5mb and it stays there even if the downstream rate is above 10mb.  I also noticed the SNR can go very high.  Can I do something to make the download rate sync to downstream rate? Thanks in advance. BTW I've tried quiet line test and there no noise on the line.  BiPAC 8800AXL R2.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Stuck at 5mb Download rate

the drops in connection are the cause of the high noise margin and lower connection speed and until you solve the casue of the disconnections you are not going to make any progress

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that stabilises your connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spicnspan7
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Thanks Imjolly. I've tried that as well. I'm actually connected to master socket. When I was on ADSL connection it was very seldom that I'm having problem with SNR margin. Is this normal on VDSL? I've read some time ago that several disconnections are normal on VDSL. My adsl can go up to 6mb, so it's faster than Infinity if I am stuck with 5mb. Do I just need to wait until it goes up?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

regardless whether vdsl2 or adsl your connection should be stable and not dropping every few days or sooner.  there is something causing the drops and if you use test socket and still happens then looks like engineer visit needed to find cause of problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
spicnspan7
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Hi imjolly. I've been busy for the past week and just decided to wait and see what will happen. My connection went up to 8mb (download rate with 12mb sync rate) and the connection has been up for about 2 days without dropping. The SNR has been fluctuating between 9-11db for the past couple of days. Is this normal? Will it sync to the higher speed ( download rate to down stream) by itself or do I need an SNR reset? Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Can you post the current router stats

0 Ratings
spicnspan7
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

here's the router stats. Downstream is fluctuating bet 11to 13mb. BiPAC 8800AXL R2 3.pngBiPAC 8800AXL R2 2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

The 8.8mb is your down connection speed not download speed which is different and the 11mb is attainable speed which is good as line can handle

looks like your noise margin is dropping and speed increasing so as long as connection remains stable that should continue with your noise margin going down to 6db which is normal

0 Ratings
spicnspan7
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Oh dear. The connection got restarted again. SNR went down but also the downstream. Smiley SadBiPAC 8800AXL R2 5.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Any increase in NM (or SNR) will reduce your throughput. Concentrate on the cause of the restarts. Whilst they continue your problem will never be resolved.

0 Ratings