cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Stupid question, but I had better ask..."broken fibres"?

I've had my FF installation completed but with difficulty as Openreach put the wrong numbers and serial numbers to kits being installed. Separate story.

But as part of that exercise the installer was going to (I assume) the sub-box/station and finishing off the test. As a throw away comment, he said ' I  hope I don't break/cut any of the fibres as I tidy up the cabling' but it should be working at a decent speed now!!!

Well my connection is a consistant 890mbps with a 4 ms ping, so I'm content.

But is it possible that a few strands of fibre being accidently broken or cut would effect the speed of the 'connection' or did I misunderstand?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Stupid question, but I had better ask..."broken fibres"?

There are not 'strands' of fibre in the cable. There is a single fibre which is is about the size of a human hair. Any physical damage to the fibre will cause total loss of service.

Message 3 of 5

Laughing, thanks for the reply...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@Seyley12 

Good question really and @licquorice answered correctly as usual .. 😁

Fibre when stripped looks a little like this pictured below. (Yes I did it)😋

Inside those green, blue & orange are tiny strands of fibre as quoted no larger in diameter than a strand of hair.

Only one strand will supply you're premises which of course is quite amazing IMO.

fibre cable.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 5 of 5

@Seyley12 

They are spliced together with an expensive splicer costing anywhere in the region up to £10k in some cases.

Here are the contractors working on my build showing the single strands being spliced together.😉

splicer-inside.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"