Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MattC24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Sudden download speed issues

Go to solution

Hi!

A problem seems to have developed recently with my infinity 2 connection. 

Have had BT infinity for a few years with no problems but recently the connection has started slowing to unusable speeds. I normally get a steady download speed of about 74mbps. Recently however the connection will eventually drop quite suddenly to below 0.5mbps making even loading a website difficult. I have to reset my router to get back to my normal download speed. Then after a few hours the speed drops to below half a meg again. The connection is stable it never drops I just lose all my download speed. Upload speeds never change. I know resetting the router frequently isn’t a good idea so I have tried leaving it but the speed never recovers. The connection speed to the exchange never drops it is constantly 79.9mbps.

This first started happening a couple of weeks ago so I started an online help chat with BT. I was told the advisor had altered some of my router settings and could I reboot my router. He said this would fix the problem and I would not have any more issues. Well it seemed to work ok for about 10 days and now the same issue is back.

At first I thought it must be congestion but there is no pattern to the speed loss it happens at any time of day or night and the speed reduction is so great. I could understand the speed halving or something like that but to drop below 0.5mbps doesn’t seem right. There have been no changes to my setup or wiring.

Any help or advice would great. Thank you.

Matt.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
MattC24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Sudden download speed issues

Go to solution

I have attached a couple router stats images in case they are needed. The first one is taken when the speed was low the second after a reboot and full download speed.

F38422E0-F014-4A73-A644-AD28B36BAB7B.jpeg2C060EA5-BE40-4C94-A386-0649BD07C611.jpeg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Are you running all of your speed tests with a computer connected to the home hub using a direct Ethernet connection?

0 Ratings
MattC24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Hi.

Sorry yes I have tried the Speedtests via Ethernet cable also and results are the same. I have also tried to listen for noise on the phone line in case that was an issue but I can’t hear anything.

thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

It could be congestion.

Please can you follow the instructions on this page and display the results here. Thanks.

Action to take when download speed are dropping

Also, is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements, as line noise causes errors which affect download speed.

0 Ratings
MattC24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks I will try the congestion check. Should I do this when I have the slow speed or anytime? When the speed is low the bat speedtesters don’t work.

The is no noise on my line.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Follow the instructions, do one reading when the speed is fine, and one final reading when the speed is poor, as that final reading is the one that is stored.

Also remember to say which exchange you are connected to.

0 Ratings
MattC24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

My exchange is WMMAD.

Ive just run a test via ethernet cable.

Down:144.05mbps
Up: 16.58mbps
Ping 59.63ms

I will run another when the speed is poor.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

You must use the BT Wholesale speed tester and include th further diagnostics result which shows the IP profile.

That speed test looks wrong, as you cannot have a connection of 144.05Mbs on your line. Are you sure you have turned your wireless connection off on your computer?

0 Ratings
MattC24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed 76.12 Mbps 0 Mbps 77.34 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Download speedachieved during the test was - 76.12 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-77.34 Mbps .
Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 77.34 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed 16.95 Mbps 0 Mbps 20 Mbps Max Achievable Speed Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.95Mbps Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

0 Ratings