cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Sudden drop in Infinity 2 upload speed and stability.

Good evening, hope your all well?

After many days of head scratching, many hours on the phone (a good few of which highly frustrating) and 2 days off work to meet openreach engineers so they could have access to the house i am becoming tempted to look into satellite broadband instead of our once fantastic infinity 2. Before giving up however i thought i really should ask the only people iv seen any decent results from in all my research (yes the forum admin here, you do good)

We struggled for over a year with a very poor QoS over the very outdated and damaged copper to the exchange lines and i cannot explain my joy when we were activated for FTTC, honestly you will not know of anyone following the progress of the new cabinet installation as i was lol. This was just over a year ago and for that duration i we been completely happy, impressed and would recommend the product to anyone.

As a pc gamer and part time recreational DJ have made full use of our great connection. 76mbps + Down and 19+mbps Up an more stable than fort knox. The joys of living less than 100m's from the FTTC box were great.

The story obviously wasn't going to continue that way in this forum unfortunately. Just over a week ago the first thing i really noticed was the fact i couldnt connect to my streaming site, i only stream up at 420p i think it is (very low qual webcam) and 320kbps audio, with the connection i had i could run 4k x 4 no and have no issue. I proceeded to go about all the checks my end, assuming it was an issue with the servers i was streaming to or settings my end. I spent hours trying other servers id used, different software etc. and nothing would hold a stable connection over 1mbps.

At this point in time i start doing the dreaded and looking into the connection. Upload speed tests had all dropped substantially but not to a degree that they would stop my streaming or any of the other issues we soon noticed (those being very erratic web browsing, click a link and often had to refresh and go again, uploading something small say 100MB would take over an hour etc.)

Bt at first were quite helpful and said they would do some resets and monitor. I was informed all should be fixed and to monitor it myself however it remained the same. I the called support again to be abruptly told by in my opinion someone very rude that bt guarantee no upload speed unless your a buss customer and asked what i wanted her to do about it? When i suggested trying to fix it she said no anything else. At this point i almost cried, back to this wonderful game, except now were paying £75 a month for a bad connection vs the old £35.

After alot more investigation and many calls with far more helpful members of bt we have had 2 openreach engineers out and a new HH5 but still the issue persists.

Most speed tests show a fluctuating 2-12mbps up, i have seen results from 0-16mbps from the wholesale test. The best speed test i have shows that the upflow often hits the full 19+mbps but then drops for a few seconds to next to nothing (sub 0.5mbps). From the live graph it is easy to see how an average speed test would show a 10mbps upload but in reality when you watch its 20mbps for 50% of the time and 0-1mbps for the other 50% This is not how things had been previously and it is certainly causing us more issues than we would of expected.

After speaking with the engineer today who assured me the line and openreach side was perfect it would be purely a routing/network issue from the isp servers i of course continued scratching my head and carried out all the research/tests i could. Using visualworks i seem to of identified a single bt hop that is giving very eratic packet loss, lag and RTT times. Although i dont fully understand that sort of data to my knowledge it doesent appear right and tracert's to any main adress shows on average a 10-50% packet loss and very high number of out of order packets.

Any pointers on the matter would be much apreciated, from what i have read here i am guessing we suddenly somehow got shifted to a very congested bt server.

I have ofcourse run all tests from a wired connection, run quite line tests (so have openreach), changed every cable, filter and even brand new HH5 between the pc and master socket. Please bare with me on posting referance images new to the forum and not 100% sure how to upload the pics but i will do so now.

Many thanks in advance for any help that may be offered.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Re: Low upload speeds

Moray i am experiencing very similer things on bt infinty 2, had just registered on these forums to ask advice on my own problem. Have you tried any other speed tests? Iv been unable to upload anything at a sensible pace even though speed checkers are suggesting im still getting 5-7mbps up. I have gained a huge insight from using visualworks pro bussiness version (free for a 15 day trial) and a completely free tester called JackDinn's auto speed tester. After 2 engineer visits and about 15hrs on the phone to bt i still seem to have a better idea of whats going on than most iv spoken to within bt. Iv seen from live data that my uploads do still reach max speed (for me 18+mbps) however over 50% of the time there is no actual speed, a live speed checker shows speeds dropping to 0-0.5mbps for seconds at a time. The more iv looked into it the more for me atleast its looking like a packet loss/connection quality issue rather than an actual speed drop.

http://www.gmwsoftware.co.uk/ Was the free speed tester, i set the upload to a 30 second test and the live monitor/status made the other random results from browser based tests clear.

http://www.myconnectionpc.com/download.html has really helped pinpoint some things, i am on day 1 of the free trial and praying to somehow get things resolved before it over lol.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Nweddup the only accepted speed test is this oneCan you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Hi john i appreciate it is the only "speed test" that BT will act upon/recognise however from a user point of view it only shows an average speed over a given time thus seemingly quite misleading when it comes to issues as i am having (seemingly exactly the same as those in this topic). I was previously receiving 19mbps and very stable upload according to all speed tests (including BTWwholesale) Now most speed tests show an average of 5-7mbps which is still quite acceptable, i would be happy with it personally. However when you come to apply this to uploading anything, making a voice call and look into it further you see the average results don't show the fact that the actual throughput is fine but the network stability all over the show.

I don't want to hijack this thread with to much of my own info, i will put my info in my own tomorrow. I will say that bt wholesale results for me vary massivly (fairly obviouse as to why from looking at live data)

I would like to add that i am by no means an expert in the subject but after so many problems in the last 5 years its suprising what you learn about when you have to.

0 Ratings
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Re: Sudden drop in Infinity 2 upload speed and stability.

Exchange info.jpg

0 Ratings
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Wholesaletest 07.06.2017 00.37am.jpg

0 Ratings
Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

This software gives a pretty good live expression of the network speed by the bar chart in the lower right, when its peaking its at close to 20mbps but the rest of the time close to 0Speed test data 1.jpg

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 26

Can you run the further diagnostics test (not tap3) and post the result back, also post the result of a tracert to bbc.co.uk?

Also please post lines 1-12 from the HH5 troubleshooting/helpdesk page.

Nweddup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

I will do as soon as i return from work. From memory diagnosis states acceptable download range to be between anout 50-80mbps (we are garanteed 74 from bt. Up just says up to 20. My continuouse trace routes seem to show alot of variation and around 50-80% packet loss from the first hop to a bt server.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 26

I and several other on the forum understand and can diagnose tracerts. They can give a false impression to those that don't but we need to see them to diagnose them.

The reason I asked for the result of the further diagnostins is that the information and more detailed results are held on the

BTWholesale server and will aid the mods in assisting you.