Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doobs
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Sudden drop in fibre speed

Go to solution

Until recently, I got a rock solid 65-66mbps download  and 18-19 upload using HH5 and plugged into main BT socket. The phone line was on an extension socket fed off the main BT socket. When decorating we decided to remove the phone extension socket wiring and now plug the phone in to the main BT socket - so both the fibre and phone line are now in the main BT socket.  I dont know if it is related but I now am receiving 48-52 ish download and 12-16 upload. Nothing else has changed in the set up other than removing the extension phone socket/wiring. Can removing the extension socket/wiring really make a significant speed difference or is there likely to be a network or other issue?

Advice appreciated  

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
iniltous
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Sudden drop in fibre speed

Go to solution
Are you plugged into the master socket test port or just the master socket ?, are you sure the socket and wiring you removed were just an extension socket ?, if not already done, connect your router via a filter to the master socket test port , and post your router statistics .
I would be suspicious that the problem has occured just after you have done some work yourself on your extension wiring, although you cannot rule out it being a line problem and just a coincidence that it occured at the same time as you doing work on the extension wiring.

If the extension you removed was wired correctly from the master socket , the wiring should have been connected to the lower removable panel of the NTE5 master socket , was this how yours was wired, before you removed it ?
0 Ratings
doobs
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi - thanks for your comments - so far all  i have done is taken this picture - you can the remains of the extension wiring along the  skirting boardHi - thanks for your comments - so far all i have done is taken this picture - you can the remains of the extension wiring along the skirting board

0 Ratings
doobs
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

all back to normal - really not sure what had happened but it was nothing to do with the internal wiring - after "cube" internal engineer visited they said nothing obvious wrong but reffered to BT/openreach for a boost engineer visit. Lo and behold just after then I get call to say whatever the issue was is now resolved - I think my profile may have been wrong but all now sorted!

0 Ratings
StephanieG
Community Manager - Retired
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@doobs thanks for letting us know, glad to hear your speeds are now back up 🙂

0 Ratings