Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Odai
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Sudden drop in upload speeds; hub disconnects

Hello

I signed up to BT Infinity 1 in January and my connection went live at the beginning of February. 

Since the service went live, my connection speeds have been pretty stable. Hub Manager always showing sync speeds of 10/55. My actual throughput on sites like speedtest was always around 9.5/51.5mbps. 

I did get a hub reset about every 10-15 days since I joined, but as it was such a small/temporary issue I never bothered to contact BT about it. Often I wouldn't realise a reset had happened until certain network devices would flag a network loss and reconnect. 

However, yesterday things got much worse. While browsing, a web page automatically opened in Chrome titled something like 'BT connection troubleshooter'. I checked other devices on the network and confirmed I had no connection. I reset the router through the Hub Manager web page and things went back to normal. Unfortunately, it happened twice more yesterday and once again today. 

Furthermore, in looking at the stats on the Hub Manager, I can see my upload speed has dropped drastically. My sync speed is now 4.29/55mbps (although "max data rate" remains at ~16000/60000kbps). Speedtest.net now showing a ~3.9mbps upload speed. 

Any ideas what could be happening? Noise margin currently 16.7 dB / 7.8 dB. 

Thanks

Odai.

EDIT: From dslchecker:

VDSL Range A (Clean)56.539.8148.935Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)46.428.112.16.222.4Available----

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Odai
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Sudden drop in upload speeds; hub disconnects

I spoke to a customer support rep via live chat this afternoon - although I can't say I was particularly reassured by their competence. 

They first insisted there was no problem, then decided that sending out a new Hub would fix the problem and also give me better download speeds.

I don't know what else to do at the moment so have decided to go along with it. I'm not getting my hopes up though. Any chance this really is a fault with the Hub?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

possible but unlikely still a second hub is handy to have

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the reply.

I did try this test earlier, but am slightly unsure as it seems very subjective. 

I do get a very slight hiss but I'm not sure if this qualifies as noise?

0 Ratings
john_collis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Had and still have this sort of problem.

I recommend keeping a log / copy of the technical log from your router (advanced > technical log). I print to PDF to keep a copy. This will allow you to keep a log of how often your router disconnects.

Standard tests against your main incomming socket are worth doing e.g. phone directly into socket and do a quiet line test to check for noise. Also worth putting hub directly on that socket to double check.

If your line gets much worse, try the Mods on this forum. They can be very useful when fighting OpenReach to try to get a fix. Don't expect a quick resolution.

0 Ratings
Mustafa_Islam
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Never force restart your hub, if the connection drops it usually means there is some line adjustment going on, when you restart the hub it makes the DLM recognise your line as unstable and lowers your speed. Leave your hub plugged in and powered on for a few weeks. If connections drop, do not restart, just wait for it to come back up, usually takes a couple minutes.
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

any noise like hiss is a problem if you can hear it on quiet line test  I wolud recheck quiet line test using test socket and if still hiss then report phone fault to 151 NOT broadband fault

can you post hub stats  advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The problem seems to have gone away now; upstream sync is back at 10mbps. Following my last post here, I got a voicemail from BT informing me that actually the rep I chatted with shouldn't have authorised a new Hub to be sent out and that it wouldn't be possible for a one to be sent free of charge. They did mention something about a 'reset', and to wait 48 hours for the problem to clear. The line wasn't particularly good and I couldn't make out what they believed the exact issue was.  

I did suspect DLM could have something to do with it. My connection dropped out a few times following several transient interruptions to the electrical supply here a few days ago (roadworks everywhere). Could power drops affect the cabinet/phone lines?

Given that the upload sync speed was what was being capped at 4.29mbps, while the "maximum data rate" stated in the Hub configuration pages for upload speed was still reasonably stable at ~18mbps, does this sound like a DLM throttling issue?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

if it had been the DLM taking action on your line ( throttling does not happen) to help stabilise your line then it normally takes a lot longer to release than you have found

0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

So... the resets are back. They started the day after my previous post. 

The sync speed initially settled back at 10/55 as advised by BT, but after the resets resumed the upload speed is faltering again.

At the moment, it seems the resets take place once a day around 4-7am.  Upload sync after each reset is in the region of 5-7mbps. 

These are the current stats:

ir29SLG

What's the best option for following up on a complex technical issue with BT? I'm not particularly reassured by the competence of the chat support agents after my last experience.

0 Ratings